Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lost camera..then found it again
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM by mikerault.)
Lost camera..then found it again
Back in September (on the 9th) I was diving in Lake Lanier here in Georgia when either through narcosis, stupidity or bad luck (or a combination of all of them) I lost my Canon 20D DSLR, in a Ikelite housing with dual DS51 strobes attached in about 50 feet of water.

8 weeks and 14 return dives later, I found it laying pretty as you please on top of the mud in 43 feet of water about 100 feet from where I thought I had lost it. You have to realize Lake Lanier viz ranges from 10-15 feet to zero at the bottom so I am sure I swam within a couple of feet of the thing sitting there on several of the other dives.

When I got it home and rinsed it off and opened the case the camera was still as dry as a bone and had enough battery life left to take a flash photo of the wife! The strobe batteries where dead, but the battery compartments where dry and none of the batteries had leaked, so after I replaced the batteries the strobes worked like new!

I heartily endorse Ikelite products, 8 weeks submerged at 50 feet and no leaks, no issues, what else can you ask of a housing?

Mike

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   P1050002_800_43.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.16 KB / Downloads: 0)