Remember me
Lost Password Register

Finis Rapid Monofin
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM,
Finis Rapid Monofin
I just tried out my new Finis "Rapid" monofin today.  I tried it out in Redgranite.  For saying it fits mens shoe size 8-14, my 9 1/2 4E foot was a rather tight fit with 2mm booties.  It was hard to get into it as I didn't have the adjustable strap set yet, but once I got the strap set, it was a lot easier.  The adjustable strap has a hook that hooks between the feet and also doubles as an emergency release.  All you have to do is push on the hook from the back side of the fin, and it releases.  With a little bit of a kick it is off both feet.  The fin is also positively buoyant so it will go to the surface if lost.  Besides the hook, the adjustable buckles hook on a post that might accomodate other manufacturers straps.  The blade is thermoplastic and carries a warning not to exceed 179F, so watch it when it comes to hot cars or trunks.

Snorkeling with it wasn't too fun as it likes to come out of the water and splash.  Once I started freediving, the fin really suprized me.  It had a lot more power than my jet fins and could get me to the bottom faster than I could clear my ears.(have to watch that)  On the way up from 15' three to four kicks had me on the surface breached almost to my waist.  The fin will let you know if you are kicking correctly, as you will feel the fin just flop if your not.  Submerged kicking correctly, it feels like you are riding a scooter.  The box says the fin could get you up to 6 MPH.

This is one of the lower priced Finis monofins at $89.  They have 3 more models above this one ranging from $129-250.  I wish the higher priced models had the adjustable (and also replaceable) strap.

Can't wait to try it with scuba. Big Grin

I'll post a pic as soon as I take one.

DEW >&ltWink)>
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM,
Re: Finis Rapid Monofin
You'll have to come to next year's freedive-a-palooza and try out one of mine. My carbon fiber one will get me up from 100' in less than 10 kicks.

I have full footpockets on my monofins- much more comfortable for spending hours in the water.

The best Finis one is the competitor but it seems to be pretty hard to find one around anymore- finis may have dropped it form there line?

If your looking for a great monofin for not a lot of cash check out Waterway. they sell the same blades as the Ifnis competitor for half the price- all the blades are made by the same company in russia and Waterway imports them in through canada.

The main issus with openheel monofins is that you need to wear them SO tight that they are painfull after more than aobut 15-20 minutes. If this isn't the case then it doesn't fit right and your waisting energy.

I'd post some picuters of mine on here but I've already gone over my allowed photo uploads tothis site- and that explains why I haven't posted anything for a while, it's no fun without picutres.

Jon
10-24-2006, 03:14 PM,
BTW: scuba diving with freediving fins is is great- you can fight any current and push more gear throguh the water. 8)

Scuba diving with a monofin is a pain in the butt. You end up bumping your head on your tank valve too much to be very efficient. >Sad It's also impossible to frog kick, scull, or swim backwards like you can in bi-fins.

The other type of monofins with the closed heel straps, like the upper level Finis, are meant to allow you to take apart the strap and reglue them to fit your foot. They are not meant to fit all feet, but to fit super snug on a very certain size foot.

Jon
10-26-2006, 10:41 PM,
I tried it tonight in the pool with scuba.  The only bad parts were the loss of turning ability and I had to let my feet rest after an hour.  It's kinda hard to spin around in place without lots of arm waving.  But I did have fun swimming around the PADI OW class.  I freedove the last half hour of the class with enough weight on the belt to make me negative and had no trouble staying at snorkle depth without moving reletive to the bottom.  I'll have to remember to keep freediving before going on scuba, as I tried to inhale on my snorkel twice. Sad  I also ran a donning drill by ditching my system, weight belt, and mask in the deep end, and swimming to it from the shallow end.  I also ran a couple of out of air ascents and bobbing the BC. 

All in all, I would continue to use this monofin for scuba. Smile  I would not recommend this fin for confined spaces like cave or wreck penetration.

Glad I brought the jet fins along, one student only had half of a pair of fins.
DEW >&ltWink)>
10-27-2006, 08:03 AM,
Now you need to get a fornt mounted snorkel and you'll really be flying! 8)

Jon

Check your PM box.
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM,

I have the opposite problem... I forget to inhale through the regulator.. last year on a scuba dive in mexico, trying to catch up to the group at the bottom, I was probably to 50 or 70' or maybe more before I realized I hadn't taken a breath off the regulator :Smile

You'll have to join us at the apalooza next year for sure with that mono.
Fred