Remember me
Lost Password Register

Northern Door County Buoys
09-22-2006, 09:17 AM,
Northern Door County Buoys
When will the wind stop blowing!!  They were giving a good forecast for tomorrow, but they're changing that now, and the rest of the forecast looks hopeless.  I'm getting anxious to get the buoys off before the REALLY bad weather comes!  I have nightmares of ice encrusted moorings!

If anyone wants to be involved, or plans on being involved, with pulling these buoys please let me know.
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI
09-23-2006, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2006, 07:54 AM by moneysavr.)
Re: Northern Door County Buoys
Capt Kathy,
Let me know as I am up your way most weekends, and  rain days like this week,Let me know what moorings are off as a local dive club is up next weekend and I know plans the Ocean Wave -and Frank O a easy hook, as the first is the idea of damage, you need divers or a close boat let me know.
Second week of Oct. we are up diving out of my place near Sturgeon Bay and could help pull some, as a bay side dive could be had if the winds don't work on the big lake side errrr,, a deep cold green no vis dive sounds like fun!.
In Spring we need to plan-fund,donate,work out a way to get the moorings out!  and  and man I will help any way I can and can find a  few other skilled divers to help in the cold murky waters to get it done prior to the Memorial day holiday!  as this year  it  sucked having to hook in to several wrecks that had moorings but were not on! as it saves time and is safe, and safe for the site as not to due any damage to the wreck and that said- Man hats off to Jim for the work and fuel  he laid out in the past! and hope you can keep the tradition going and good luck with the charter business as Door county has so many great sites to dive for the rec to TEC diver!
  That said Maybe at Ghost Ships or The WUAA  can come up with a plan or idea to keep these great  moorings on the wreck site as I know Kieth is open for any ideas!
Dive Safe,
Brad 
brad_i@hotmail.com
09-23-2006, 03:40 PM,
I am busy every weekend now thru the end of October, otherwise I would help out.
But you can count me in next spring if needed with Brad (especially if the water is cold, dark and scary ) Just call me several weeks ahead of time so I can keep the weekend open.

Brian
(262) 670-6577
09-24-2006, 08:45 AM,
Hi Brad and Brian,
Great!  We haven't been doing the Ocean Wave in the past because it's a run for us, but I know the diver who has, so I let him know you might pull it.  He might also be heading to the O'connor next wknd, so lets keep in touch as to who pulls what, so I can keep the info going to others in case they might still try to get dives in.
We also need to coordinate where buoys end up for winter storage, so we know where to find them come spring.  I can store them also, just let me know.
We had a procedure on removing O' connor buoys so that the chain doesn't get tangled, and we know what we're in for next spring.  If it looks like you're going to get out there, let me know and I'll tell you how Jim and I found it works best.
Any way you could get to the Carrington by Hat Island? We just don't get down that way, so if anyone could get there, that would really help!
The main thing right now, is to get those buoys pulled, and to keep the info flowing so we know what's left to do.  Thanks for your help!  Any buoys you can get off will help, and we could always use help in the spring too!
Keep in touch,
Kathy
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM by moneysavr.)
Capt. Kathy,
E-mail sent. Hope we can help out I sent my No# feel free to call,

Brad
  Hey Brian,
COOL
Sounds like you can help out in Spring, Great way to get some dives in as they are more work than fun,but a good way to get up north and have a good excuse for a  guys weekend! 
09-25-2006, 06:58 AM,
Brad, how can they be more work than fun??? I dont call a boat ride with old friends and maybe some new ones, to a historic shipwreck for a scuba dive work. If that is work to you, then i want your job ;D

Brian
09-26-2006, 05:46 AM,
I retrieved the Fleetwing buoys yesterday.  So I guess that wreck is my baby from now on. 8)
DEW >&ltWink)>
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM,
Update on buoy status:  Bob LaViolette removed the Ocean Wave buoy last weekend.  He ran a poly line from the submerged buoy to a jug on the surface.  So technically, there is still something there to tie onto, but that poly line won't hold up in waves, so beware.

Bob went by the Lyons and the buoy is gone.  Does anyone know if that was removed?  We've lost buoys before in bad weather, so we're wondering if this is the case.
Happy Diving!
10-05-2006, 06:20 PM,
I will pull the Carringtons mooring this weekend,Spoke with Bob this past weekend.
Any one ask Greenbay Scubas group if they did? Just my guess.
Dive safe,
Brad
10-07-2006, 02:10 PM,
Hi Brad,
I'm listening to the wind howl right now! Let me know if you got out this weekend.  If not, we'll keep an eye on the weather and try again.  Pulling buoys is much easier when you have fairly calm conditions.
I talked with Kim at GB Scuba on Friday and she didn't mention doing any buoy work.  Lets keep our ear to the pavement and see if we can find anything out.  Let me know if you got out there.
Kathy