Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gunilda
09-21-2006, 09:08 PM,
Gunilda
A few of us just returned from a trip to Rossport, Ontario Canada with Shipwreck Adventures to dive the Gunilda. For a bit of background on the Gunilda, you can check out this link.

The long drive was worth it, and the scenery was fantastic.  I'm pretty convinced that we had the best campsite in North America.  It is a bit of a stretch to call what we were doing camping, but the site was wonderful nonetheless.  In addition to having the best campsite, Rossport, Ontario Canada is home to one of the most incredible shipwrecks in the world, the Gunilda. 

The dives were good, but with no ambient light, and relatively short bottom times of 15 to 20 minutes at 240ft, it will take many more dives than we did to fully explore the beauty of this wreck.  The water temp on the wreck was a pleasing 42F and above the thermocline it was 62F to complete our decompression.  It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to doing it again sometime.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   2369.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   2367.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.28 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-22-2006, 03:29 AM,
Re: Gunilda
first off congrats on your dive trip.....
secondly..i have always loved that story.....my only question....at what point do you think he was found slamming his head against the wall screaming...STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!
09-22-2006, 09:52 AM,

Thanks Dean, they were pretty big dives for a chump like me.

I have often thought about what in the hell Mr. Harkness was thinking.  He obviously spared no expense when he had the Gunilda built.  I can't figure out why he would cheap out  to save her.
09-22-2006, 11:42 AM,
Chris, did you get any photos of the wreck? The Gunilda is way up high on my 'list' to visit.
09-22-2006, 01:33 PM,
No Photos of the wreck this time around.  Greg has at least one on his home page   There are a few other sites I found via a google search that had pictures.
09-22-2006, 03:23 PM,
I don't think anyone diving with us had a camera unfortunately.  I can honestly say that pictures and video only hint at the amazing nature of this wreck.  I have wanted to dive this wreck for a long time and it went well beyond my expectations.  It was also nice to dive on it with an END of 90ft and remember it vividly ;D.