Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM,
Diving
Whats the best place to dive right now while we are waiting for lakes to turn? Besides Lake Michigan and Wazee. Devils lake is gone and so are Madison lakes.
09-13-2006, 03:07 PM,
Re: Diving
Not much left actually... pretty much all of the little area lakes have horrid viz throughout summer.  Wazee even gets bed.  Red granite can occasionally be good during the summer, but it's usually pretty bad.

So yeah...great lakes, wazee...you've about summed it up unfortunately. 

On the other hand, spring and fall are EXCELLENT times to dive the lakes. 
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM,
You can cross Wazee off the list for vis at recreational depths.  I would say it was 10ft tops in places and as low as 2ft in others.  This was Monday of Labor Day weekend.
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM,
I was in Milwaukee on Tuesday and the lake was pretty brown from all the east winds- a few waves still breaking over the wall on occasion.

Jerry said no one got out last weekend but maybe it will calm down enough for this weekend.  It looks like diving pretty much sucks all over right now. :'(

Jon
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM,
Ugh, this sounds nasty.  We're supposed to dive with AAI's Project Aware cleanup at Grant Park on Sunday.  Maybe we'll have to opt to clean up on the shore instead.
The only good diver is a wet diver.
09-15-2006, 04:42 AM,
I forgot all about fortune pond.  That place is pretty cool.

We never made it much deeper than you.  That layer is really thick. 
09-15-2006, 08:38 AM,
On hydrogen sulphide, have any of you seen the Cousteau episode on Clipperton Island?  They dove the hole in the center of the atoll and hit some serious hydrogen sulphide that went right thru their drysuits and full face masks.  That stuff even turned the paint on their yellow cylinders to olive drab.  If I remember right, one of the divers even suffered temporary blindness from it, and all had chemical burns from it.

If you are tasting it, GET OUT OF IT! 
DEW >&ltWink)>