Remember me
Lost Password Register

Freediving Wazee
08-04-2003, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2003, 08:31 AM by FreediveWI.)
Freediving Wazee
I got an email on a week ago form a couple of PHD candiadtes form England who were coming to Madiosn for a month to do some reasearch. It truns out that they were freedivers, one has even trainied with the UK freediving team, and wanted to do a little freediving while they were here.

Yesterday I took them up to Wazze to play around. HTey had a great time and Lisa even added 15' onto her PB depth record- she got down to 105'. We saw lots of fish, turtles and other things and they seemed pretty excited by how warm and clear it was. Surface temp was around 73 degrees and the vis was good down to 25'. It got a bit murky after that untiul you broke through the 75' layer where it cleared up quite a bit after that.

We bounced around from one end of the lake to the other and we even ran into fellow poater, Jason, while we were there. He and his girlfriend were having a nice dive in the great conditions.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   jason_jon.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.52 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-04-2003, 08:32 AM,
Re:Freediving Wazee
Here's a shot of the very friendly turtle that we found. Not quite the Caymans, but we make do with what we have. Wink

.jpg_thumb   rich_turtle.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.78 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-04-2003, 08:34 AM,
Ted had fun playing around on the 70' platform.

.jpg_thumb   ted_70_platform.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.71 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-04-2003, 08:35 AM,
He also had a good time swimming through the forrest.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_trees.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-04-2003, 08:37 AM,
We even got a shot of whatever this thing is. Its made out of stocking and ping-pong balls. The Brit's thought that we must have some pretty bored divers around here to come up with such things. I thought that it was pretty inventive.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   stocking_balls.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.53 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-04-2003, 12:40 PM,
Smile

It was fun actually meeting someone that I've talked to so much on this board. It was a GREAT weekend of diving out at Wazee. I spent Saturday and Sunday out there.

That thing of ping-pong balls and stockings is artificial seaweed. That's been out there for about a year. A month or so ago, some not so nice individuals took all the pantyhose and braided and tied them and wrapped them around the palette and then dropped it over the 55 foot cliff right next to where it stands. On Saturday, Al and I (also from this board), hooked a lift bag to this palette and brought it up to the shallows again and freed all of the pantyhose so that they would actually float again. Pointless, yes, but fun - and it felt good to undo some destruction that someone had done.

Anyway - it was a great weekend. It was nice meeting you out there Jon - hope to see you around some other time.

Jason
08-04-2003, 12:48 PM,
And I should've known not to let you take my picture after just stepping (okay, dang near falling) out of my drysuit. Yikes!!!
08-04-2003, 01:28 PM,
Great pics Jon. Where did you encounter the turtle? I've never come across a turtle down there. Lonnie and I found that ping pong thing a couple weeks ago.
--Jason
08-04-2003, 01:39 PM,
The turtle was in the reeds, close to the platform, by Sherwwod Forrest. My dive buddy, Ted, found it. He is a fisheries biologist with the univeristy and has a real knack for finding things that the rest of us swim over.

It was nice meeting other members from this board- and I made sure to edit out the falling pictures. Wink

Jon
08-04-2003, 06:18 PM,
There is always a lot of fun playing with the turtles at Wazee. I have seen them many times in the shallows and even had on follow me as I swam in the shallows.

May not be the Caymans but still fun. Good to see the artificial seaweed is back.

Doug