Remember me
Lost Password Register

Byron Ship wreck TR and Video
08-26-2006, 05:58 PM,
Byron Ship wreck TR and Video
Byron Shipwreck Video & TR Lake Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Byron is a small schooner lost North of Portwashington,Wisc in 135' of water.Sank in 5-8-1867 after a collision,Its home port was Manitowoc,Wisconsin.Its Cargo was salt.
The day started at a meet up at Jim's lake home near Lake church Wisc, as these dives called for a shore launch of my boat with the use of his launch facilities as this cut the run time to the several wrecks way down.The lake was calm with less than a 1/4 mile vis with mild fog but muggy out, we made the 10 mile run north to spend some time trying to hook in,Jim try-ed & try-ed and then gave Eric our new dive pal but experienced diver the hook line two trys and we were hooked, and our marker we dropped was right on the wreck as we found out on the dive.
They both did the dive wet as I started dry but man did I sweat!
Top side water temps 71 deg, vis on the way down the line Yuck looked like a bad dive as we hit 110'FSW it all opened up BIG TIME! With vis up to but not less than 100'-120' feet and water temps were in the low 50's BT,Due to it was major over cast the video is dark but you can get the idea of this not to often dived small schooner in the middle of no place,Lot's of bourbot aka (Lawyers) were to be found in her holds and on site,some fish net and a strange out of date (newer) steel drum as this may of been a mooring anchor .
Jim and Eric did their safety stop as I pulled the anchor and did a small deco Obligation,
Great Day,Now for the video and the next dive we did Today=The Advance
Click link to see the video=

Dive safe,
Brad
08-27-2006, 07:20 AM,
Re: Byron Ship wreck TR and Video
Nice video, Brad.  There's some white rope in the video, looks pretty new, was that part of a fishnet, or your line?
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
08-27-2006, 08:26 AM,
The line was our marker line in that Jim tossed it over and it was dead nuts on the wreck-talk about a good toss on our sonar mark,
But the hook in was a bit hard but we have done it in the past as this is a small wreck.
  Fun dive and the vis was great as we hit the cooler water near the lake floor -just dark top side with the overcast lights came in handy.

Hear you guys made the club dive's -,You will have a great time with the group of divers and get some good diving in with the best rates around.

Jim says in the works is the Ocean wave and Frank O I may join the group that weekend as they are two DoorCounty Must dives!
Dive safe,
Brad 
08-27-2006, 07:06 PM,
Brad is refering to the Door county camp and dive with the club. I have four sites reserved for the Urge to Submerge at the Baileys Grove Campgound, sept 31 through October 2.  It will be a great time.
     The Byron dive was really awesome.  Hard wreck to hook with its low profile, but 100' plus viz at the bottom makes up for alot.

Jim