Remember me
Lost Password Register

Island City
08-14-2006, 04:43 AM,
Island City
Hit The lake Sunday with a plan to dive the Island City and Milwaukee from Port washington as we left less one diver in the A.M. the south winds did kick up but made good time south of Port washington,Hooking in took several trys
The dive was great as you will see the vis was 30' and was kicked up by us a bit and Jim was saving the local Bourbot-aka Lawyers from the fish net ( They were still alive)all over this not too often dived wreck, Some were dead too white jelly like blobs YUCK! with dead eyes on this wreck and she lays low on the lake floor so this not too often dived wreck was well worth all the work!
  The wreck it self is not dived too often as seen by some artifacts still left on her and the fact she could be a lethal dive if you wre to become snagged in the nets covering the wreck.
  It was a Great dive! vis was down a bit but waters warm and deco stops on the fly after we un hooked were a bit bouncy as we blew north but this wreck deserves a re visit soon.

Enjoy the video link as I did not edit it too much and stay tuned as I will Post The S.S.Milwaukee video we dived today too!

Dive Safe,
Brad
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM,
Re: Island City
Nice video.  I dover her earlier this year and I bet you and I have been the only ones on her this year and probably last year too.  She is a bugger to find on the sonar.  Each time I have missed the wreck with the anchor and have to motor off on the scooter to find the wreck and remember where to look for the anchor.  Of course it would be worse to drop the 30lb navy anchor in the middle of one of those nets though.  I am glad your enjoying the wreck as we apear to be the only two.

Also I hit the Mahoning earlier this year too.  On of these days we should run into each other.

Have fun
08-14-2006, 02:25 PM,
Nice video.  Man all of the nets and rope down there sucks though.  I guess not too big a deal with 30' viz but I wouldn't want to be on that wreck in real low viz. :o
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2006, 05:02 PM by moneysavr.)

Thanks again!
I shoot my so-so video with a pvc case  home made and a sony DV cam,I gets the idea of the site and my kids love it.

We found her and dropped a marker but with a current that was ripping it did blow the drop marker off, a few trys and a good hook as now we know the way she lays so next time should be a bit less work and with out 4'-6' swells =forecast 2'-3' was a bit off Sunday!
  Will have to go back and get some video with out east winds pushing the silt out,
But still was a great dive and next time some one else can shoot the video and I can poke around and look a bit off the site!
Dive safe and hope to get a dive in with you prior to dry dock this year,
Brad