Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cancun, Cozumel, or elsewhere?
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM,
Cancun, Cozumel, or elsewhere?
I've started to think about someplace warm for February, but don't know where to go.  I'm thinking either Mexico or Carribean, and it has to be a family friendly location, as this won't be a diving vacation.  I'll probably be allowed one dive boat trip, and that's it.  So there has to be plenty of topside stuff to do for the Mrs and 2 year old daughter.  I've never been to Mexico, and I guess most of the Carrib is new to me as well (except St. Martin, Tobago and Curacao).  It would be cool if the place is family friendly as well as having a good house reef for either snorkel or maybe scuba.

Suggestions on location and hotel?

Chad
08-08-2006, 05:37 PM,
Re: Cancun, Cozumel, or elsewhere?
The Iberostar in Cozumel is an all-inclusive resort with lots of programming for kids.  There's an on site dive shop and shows every night.  We liked it there.
08-08-2006, 11:41 PM,
Cozumel has rebounded from Hurricane Wilma in a big way from what I read on the internet.  El Cozumeleno in the northern hotel zone and diving with Scuba Du which is associated with the hotel and offers morning dive boat pickups to travel to the dive destinations in the southern end of the island.  I was there in January 2005 and had a great time.  El Coz seemed very family friendly with shows in the evening and lots of family activities.  Search around, I have an extensive trip review from a couple years ago.
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM,
We stayed at Hotel Cozumel in March and dove right across the street with Dive Paradise, got our Advanced Open Water certs there.  The hotel is nothing to write home about, very "Holiday Inn", foods ok.  Stuff for the kids and shows like all the other places on the island.  What I liked about the location was it was a nice walk into town from there, we walked into town and walkd back a couple of times.    Dive Paradise had some great folks working there and our instructor was a great guy!
The only good diver is a wet diver.