Remember me
Lost Password Register

canister lights and travel
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM,
canister lights and travel
How do you travel with your canister light ?
Do you carry it on ?

I am going  to PDC with a buddy who has one and we were just talking what do you do with it ? It is an expensive piece of equipment.

Anyone have any experience with the TSA thinking it is a bomb ?
gail

07-24-2006, 02:36 PM,
Re: canister lights and travel
I've flown....3 times (I think) now with my canister light.  Haven't had any issues with it yet.  I do carry on - my regs, my light and my bottom timer/computer come with me as carry on.

I did have some issues when leaving Cozumel, as they didn't like the battery, and it wasn't because of a bomb related issue, they didn't like the possibility of the battery leaking.  The wanted me to put it into my checked luggage, they didn't want it in my carry on. 

I even have a homemade battery, it's got soldered wiring on it and it's taped together with black tape.  If that doesn't send 'em running, nothing will Smile

I do usually get a pretty thorough inspection from the TSA guys though.  Without a doubt my bags are always opened up and scanned/swept for just about everything.  Most of them have recognized the dive gear though.
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM by Chris H.)
This should work OK.  The Pelican cases are a little spendy, but not as bad when you consider what a broken light will cost.  I have since added some desiccant pouches to  help keep the moisture out of the charger.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   IMG_1423.JPG_thumb (Size: 35.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-24-2006, 08:23 PM,
I second Chris' recommendation. You spent the $$$ for the light. Spend a little more and keep it safe! Wink The "Hardig Storm cases" are as nice as the Pelican cases for less $$$. Make sure you buy a case that's big enough.
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM,
Thanks guys- I will forward this information to my buddy
g
08-08-2006, 09:03 AM,

The one time I traveled by air with it (to Cancun out of Madison), I carried it on, with a battery in the canister but disconected and the other battery rubber-banded to the outside.  Of course it got searched and it definitely does look suspicious, both in x-rays and visually.  I was expecting them to ask me to turn it on, but they just looked at it a bit, asked what it is, and told me "we don't like wires - we see wires and get concerned." 

I have a Sartek with a small NiMH battery pack.  I think they tend to get more concerrned about lead acid batteries.  If you're using lead acid batteries, I think someone on thedecostop.com made up a label that you can stick to your battery to identify it as non-spillable and legal for air travel. 

Ethan