Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Computers - Pros and Cons
04-10-2006, 11:20 PM,
Re: Dive Computers - Pros and Cons
The only reason I went for my computer is that the numerical display is easier to read when narked.  I could always read my old Datamax bottom timer when I couldn't see the tics on my gauges.  I still carry my tables and time calculator when I go down.  I still only rely on the computer for bottom time, depth, and air pressure, everything else is on the slate.  The only alarms I like set are deco and min/turn pressure in case I get stupid.  The only other thing I like is the ascent rate indicator.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-24-2006, 11:28 AM,
I am not sure that I have enough experience to add my two cents in here...... well I know I don't!! But I feel the need to try. I do not own a computer, and have been diving for a sparse two years. I am not AOW certified. My dive buddy and myself have lived by the following rules....
1. Learn your dive tables.... before you buy a computer
2. actually be able to use the tables for more than padding in your dive book.
3. Always use your dive buddies help when planning a dive, He/she might see a mistake that you missed.
4. If you buy a computer, always verify it with the charts.
5. the charts are, sorry for the pun, "IDIOT PROOF" with a lot of safety built in for that reason, the computer will give you more time, but beware of what you are doing and understand what it is telling you.
6. and this is a no brainer... dive within your experience.
One final thought and then I will get off of my soap box. I am not by any means a seasoned diver with less then 50 dives under my belt I have been using the charts with much success and would like to get a computer to enhance my dive experience but I have been yielding on the side of safety for a few years now and have never been nor have I heard of someone getting bent using the dive charts and diving within there knowledge range. I understand that the tech diving realm adds significant complexity to the dive tables, but I think with a little work a person could be as safe as possible. I hope I don't upset too many people with this post as I don't have enough experience to give my two cents, but here it is.
01-14-2007, 02:16 AM,
Ok, first, to comment on Jarrod's 13 reasons..., a) those reasons were written upwards of 3-4 years ago, one just needs to do a little research to see how far dive computers, not to mention decompression theory in recreational technical diving,  have come since then. b) most, repeat "most" of those reasons have little to do with fault of the computer, like most accidents in diving, they all come down to human error. Even dependency, is not the fault of a computer, it's the fault of the user. Dive computers are no more evil than, say... a compass (on land), they are a tool, when properly used, aid in a means to a goal. However, we must, must, be prepared in the fundamentals in the case of that tool failing (ie, know how to find north). Oh, and on the reasoning of a computer taking up diver real estate that could be better used by something of more benefit; dive computers today, even mixed gas ones, are small and generally pretty low profile, and no more disruptive to a divers configuration than a wrist slate or Heaven forbid holding a deco table while on a line, or carrying out a gas switch, or any other of the numerous tasks loading a deco diver.

Now, I do dive with a computer, I spent a lot of money on my computer, I love my computer, and yes, it has failed me on a couple occasions. Did I panic? No, did I have tables? Yes, multiple tables. And furthermore, I was diving with a buddy, who... you guessed it, had an identical profile as mine, as he should. And we would have been able to deco off his computer. But, there was minimum deco, and as an exercise in proficiency, I did whip out my tables, and did the couple minutes of deco as planned. With my knowledge, and I say that, because I refuse to speak on anyone else's behalf, I don't see how diving with a computer impairs my diving ability at all.

It always, always comes down to education. Computers are no more the villain here, than calculators are in our schools. It's unfortunate that they are used as a crutch by some, and those some occasionally get themselves into trouble. I will continue to dive my computer, and continue to carry tables if the need to use them should arise.

Be educated, know what you do not know, plan your dive and dive your plan.
Technical Diver