Remember me
Lost Password Register

Door County,Wisc trip report
05-28-2007, 08:17 PM,
Re: Door County,Wisc trip report
Installed the buoys on the Fleetwing and shot video on the wreck.  Paul was just getting out when I arrived.  Water was a nice 54 degrees around 50 + viz.  Looks like VHS hasn't hit hard there yet. 

>SadAnother diver went in while I was filming, and almost got ran over by a jetski whose driver was watching the shore rather than watching where he was going.  Luckily he saw me waving and pointing at the flag.  He missed the flag by 50'.  If I could have gotten his number, I would have let him have it.
DEW >&ltWink)>
07-24-2007, 07:53 PM,
Hit the Fleetwing today.  Vis was maybe 20-30' max.  I think one of the locals is removing the buoys from the shallow part of the wreck.  Next time he's going to have to try cutting nicopressed aircraft cable off an old propane tank.

>Big Grin "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!" >Big Grin
DEW >&ltWink)>
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM,
Hey Dewit2it,
I noticed the buoy was gone 2 or 3 days ago.  I've been meaning to PM you to let you know.  I don't think that anyone has taken it, I think someone wrapped it in their prop.  We've buoyed that wreck for years and never had anyone steal them.  Usually it's a matter of wind or boats getting too close.  A local diver and friend of mine has been helping w/ the Fleetwing prior to last year.  He's going to be cleared to dive this week, so he may be willing to put a new jug on.

Sorry you lost your float, it was a nice one Sad  If I hear of anyone having taken it, I'll try to get it back for you.

Happy diving,
Kathy
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI
07-25-2007, 05:53 PM,
A clove hitch with a couple of half hitches to lock it won't come undone.  The figure eight on a bight needs a knife to come out.  I scraped all the zebra mussels off the trunnel spike before tying.  Last year someone cut the buoy off and left the rope.(all fibers the same length with no frayed areas on the rope)  Being the shallow part of the wreck, I would think boaters would love to have the warning of an obstruction.  I saw one group of waterskiers go close enough to the north end that they were lucky they didn't hit it.

My opinion is that it's the person who has the wreck in his backyard.  I think he dosen't like the kayakers hanging around his dock looking at the wreck. 
DEW >&ltWink)>
07-25-2007, 08:55 PM,

I wouldn't be so quick to guess that it was the landowner with the pier that was cutting off your jug.  Not more than 4 months ago, they contacted us at the WHS Maritime Preservation and Archaeology office and asked how they might be able to arrange an official State shipwreck mooring for the site.

Tami
07-26-2007, 07:18 AM,
If it is that popular a spot, I think the WHS Maritime Preservation and Archaeology office should look into getting this request filled ASAP. Seems like less headaches for everybody concerned.
07-26-2007, 08:07 AM,

I absolutely agree.  It normally will take about a year for all of the paperwork to pass through various hands.  Right now though, it is all about finding the funding for it. 

Wanna make a donation?  Sponsor a buoy?
07-26-2007, 08:22 AM,

I absolutely agree.   It normally will take about a year for all of the paperwork to pass through various hands.   Right now though, it is all about finding the funding for it. 

[/quote]

How much does a buoy cost? 
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2007, 09:04 AM by matt t..)

I absolutely agree.   It normally will take about a year for all of the paperwork to pass through various hands.   Right now though, it is all about finding the funding for it. 

[/quote]
Thanks anyway. I haven't been to that wreck, and don't have any plans to go there. I may be interested in helping to sponsor a buoy on other wrecks I do visit. If you have any idea on the cost of a buoy and a way to make it "official"  I think we could possibly come up come up with a way to get it out to a site. I'd like to see some of my tax $$$ go towards something I can get some direct benefit from. I guess that's another topic for another time though. Wink
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM,
Quote:

Quote:

How much does a buoy cost?   
Quote:

I thought we already had a permit for the Fleetwing?  If not, the Garrett Bay boat launch is a town park, and the head of the parks is Capt. John Mahoney who I've worked w/ for many years.  He helped to get the Maritime Trails sign put in there, and I'm sure he'd sign off on it.  I'd be willing to get his and the property owner's signatures if you'd like.  It also wouldn't hurt to ask the parks dept. if they have any funds that they would be able to put towards it.

I'm willing to donate any time and materials that I can provide, and to discuss a financial donation.  It might also be worth it to contact Neptune's Nimrods dive club out of Green Bay.  Their members do alot of shore diving in the area, and maybe they'd be willing to make it a club project or donate club funds.  I can make a few phone calls there also.  I'd also be willing to talk w/ the kayak tour operators here, they visit that wreck often and may want to help.

Let me know how I can help to make this happen!
Kathy
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI