Remember me
Lost Password Register

Door County,Wisc trip report
07-26-2007, 07:09 PM,
Re: Door County,Wisc trip report
Well, the buoys that I'm putting out are the white PVC balls that are  around $10 at Fleet Farm.  It might be a boater swiping them for boat bumpers, as they would work for that.  Next time I put any out they'll have "Stolen from the wreck of the Fleetwing" on them. 

The last time out, the yellow jug was gone and just the rope was there.  There is also a chunk of the wreck close to the boat landing that's not on the site map.  I did take video of it.

There might be another wreck to the northwest.  The Colombia went ashore in the little bight on Death's Door Bluff.  She had her yards get caught in the trees.  The cargo was salvaged, but a storm smashed her before she could be recovered.  From what I get from the charts, the bottom drops pretty quickly to 80-100'.  It's a long swim to the site from the Garret Bay boat landing, so a boat is needed.  Kathy, you might want to try hitting it with sonar and see if anything is there sometime.  It might make a neat wall/wreck dive and it's close by.  Don't hit the rocks! Big Grin
DEW >&ltWink)>
09-13-2007, 02:43 PM,
Re: Door County,Wisc trip report
I stopped by the Fleetwing yesterday and found the missing bouy tied to the dock.  By the length of the rope it looks like the knots didn't hold.  My appologies to the landowner for suspecting their removing it.  I will be removing the other buoy for the year on the 17th.

The water was still a little stirred from the windstorm, so viz wasn't as good as I have seen it, but the storm did clear out the green carpet of algae on the bottom.  Several large bass were in midwater over the wreck.
DEW >&ltWink)>