Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redgranite Compass Course
05-28-2006, 09:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2006, 09:23 PM by Dewit2it.)
Redgranite Compass Course
Today Puddie and I sunk four of the miners and got direction tags on 3 of them.  Viz and kids stopped us from putting out Miner #5.   At Miner #3 at 29', the viz was down to around 5' or less.  Everyone and their brother was out there, and there was almost no parking left when we left at 4:00. 

I ran a check dive to see if the headings were correct.  The heading from Miner #1 to Miner #2 may be 40 degrees instead of 45, due to the buoy drifting a bit.  2 to 3 and 3 to 4, came out right on the head.  Miner #3 is at 29' instead of 26'.  I'll have to change that card.  Miner #4 has a buoy attached with flourescent orange line.  It is currently submerged, and will be used later to install Miner #5.  So for now the course ends at Miner #4.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   vizat29.JPG_thumb (Size: 18.04 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   RCCmap.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-29-2006, 08:06 AM,
Re: Redgranite Compass Course
Cool to have something else out there!

There is a compass course in Sunset lake in Portage county as well.  I don't remember the exact headings to the first marker anymore... perhaps Doug does?
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM by Dewit2it.)
Miner #2 has been stolen! >Sad

Please put him back!

I'll get a missing child picture up as soon as the film gets processed and I get home from work. 
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-31-2006, 02:18 PM,
I'll start checking milk cartons.  Wink
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM,

Perhaps that meant the coordinates were correct? Wink
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM,
Here it is! :'(

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   MIA1.JPG_thumb (Size: 27.42 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-01-2006, 08:33 AM,
That's just rude. I was looking forward to seeing the little guys in a couple of weeks.  :'(
06-13-2006, 11:14 PM,
Stopped in yesterday and Miners #1 and 4 still in position.  The tag on #1 had moved position, so somebody has looked at it.  Thanks for leaving it in position! Big Grin  I have picked up a new Miner #2 and have painted him, and will get him out there soon.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-14-2006, 08:44 AM,
A group of 5 of us from the Madison area were up there on Sunday ( there were several other groups as well) and we ran across miners #1 and #4.  I'm been lurking around the forum for a while; I'm glad I saw this thread before I went up there.  Otherwise I would have thought my nav skills were crap when I read the card and then couldn't find #2!  Smile

Dewit2it,  thanks for putting up the course; it will be pretty cool once you've got everybody back in position.

BTW, this is my first post: I'm Adam from Madison, 40 dives half salt, half fresh, AOW.  My goal for the summer is to visit some  Lake Michigan wrecks-- outsides only Wink

Adam
07-08-2006, 08:03 AM,
I stopped in on Thursday and found Miner #1 was moved near the exit point, but the kids couldn't get him out of the water.  It was a pretty hard swim dragging the equivalent of a cinder block on snorkel.  Looks like I'll have to get a pnumatic hammer drill and lag shield him to the rock.  Either that or I'll get some 1" lead plate and weight him down.  Wish I could grab some of the 60# lead fly system counterweights at the FCPAC.  Viz is around 12-15'.
DEW >&ltWink)>