Remember me
Lost Password Register

North Woods Dive Sites?
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM,
North Woods Dive Sites?
I´ll be in the Eagle River area the weekend of June 3 and 4.  I´m not at all familiar with inland lakes in the area. (Can´t make it all the way to L. Superior.)  Does anyone have advice and directions to a dive site in the area?  Or should I even bother bringing my gear along?
Thanks for any info.
Mike
05-15-2006, 03:00 PM,
Re: North Woods Dive Sites?
I have dove Trout Lake, near Sayner, WI several dives and have really enjoyed it.  Viz is pretty good, usually at least 15'.  I've dove a couple of different sections of shoreline - usually just find a spot to walk in and cruise at a depth of 30' or so.  Lots of crayfish, old bottles, fish, logs, etc.  I've heard of good things from diving from one of the public landings, but dont' remember which landing to dive from anymore.

Crystal Lake (the one w/ the campground, also by Sayner) is okay, but it's kind of like diving in a big mud puddle.  Good viz, but there is really not a lot to see - it's a big sandbowl with water, so not too exciting to be honest...

That's all I've dove up there - Gail on the board here should be able to jump in and tell you a lot more as she lives up there!
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2006, 07:09 AM by pink_fins.)
Mike- lots of lakes around your area.
But you might want to bring the drysuit and dive Fortune pond. 11 miles east of Iron River. (it's a Wazee sort of dive)

I am off that weekend. Lets see if we can get together (pray for good weather).

Big Muskellunge,Big Arbor Vitae, Sparkling Lake off the boat landing. Lots more to dive.
pm me and we can talk.

gail

05-15-2006, 07:00 PM,
Try stopping at a fishing shop and look for the Sportsmans Connection fishing map guides.  They have lake specs and bottom contour maps for most public access lakes.
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-28-2006, 07:16 PM,
keyes or keys lake is really nice. 70 foot max, great vis, has some mud, but alot of rock bottom. I dove it on a cloudy rainy day and we had 15 foot vis. Its off hwy 70 near florence.