Remember me
Lost Password Register

Homebuilt SASY Rig
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM,
Re: Homebuilt SASY Rig
He's twelve with the mind of a five year old.  I'm planning on getting him in a pool with an instructor on hand.  That way I won't forget something important safety wise.  The biggest problem is I'm in Oshkosh and he's in DeForest.  So I might have to find someone down there.  I'll have to check out Dirversions next time I'm down there.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM,
I finally got him out at Lake Emily to test it on Wednesday.  He LOVED IT!!! Big Grin  We got chased out by a thunderstorm.  I kept him in the shallows till he got the hang of it.  The rig seems to balance good.  I may have to build a new backpack to give him more room. (too many cheeseburgers)

I took him out today to the Fleetwing.  Puddie and I hid a small treasure chest for him to find on the wreck when we attached the new buoys.  $20 worth of gold dollars and 50 cent peices, plus some fools gold and glass jewels.  It was great to see how excited he got when he found it! I'll post pics once the film gets developed.

One thing both Puddie and I will have to remember is to watch his gauge.  I caught his gauge at 500 psi and it was empty by the time I got him to shore.  Playing with him on SASY and us on scuba, we can last a lot longer.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-30-2006, 07:04 AM,
Pretty cool!  Glad that it worked out for him.
06-30-2006, 05:58 PM,
Great dive report.  Can not think of a neater thing to do with a youngster than treasure hunt on a wreck like the Fleetwing.

The stuff that legends (and memories) are made of.

Doug
06-30-2006, 06:05 PM,
Here are the pics!  These are from Lake Emily.  The vest floats him well with no rollover problems.  When he uses his feet, he flattens out well, otherwise it has a somewhat head up attitude.  And all smiles when we got out! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   sasy1.JPG_thumb (Size: 33.53 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   sasy2.JPG_thumb (Size: 30.88 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-30-2006, 06:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2006, 06:12 PM by Dewit2it.)
And the treasure hunt!  And one with Puddie.  You could hear him screaming with excitement thru his regulator when he opened the box. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   foundit.JPG_thumb (Size: 27.67 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   pud n xitan.JPG_thumb (Size: 24.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-30-2006, 06:12 PM,
Super Fun

Doug
07-02-2006, 11:47 AM,
what a GREAT thing to do!  I'm impressed!  SUPER!
Fred