Remember me
Lost Password Register

Favorite Wisconsin dive spots
03-08-2003, 12:46 PM,
Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots
A gazing ball is the lawn ornement that you somtimes see that looks like a refleting orb.

Underwater where lights are required Wink, this lawn ornement takes on a more interesting apperance. Or is it narcosis?

The fun is finding it. Along with a number of other interesting sites in this lake.
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM,
If you swim down past the gazing ball a little ways you'll find this flag down there.
Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   wazee_flag.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-14-2003, 11:03 AM,
I don't think I've ever seen that flag before. There doesn't seem to be much deeper than the gazing ball...I've gone over the ledge that the ball sits on and there doesn't seem to be much down there....or is it off to the left/right of the ball more?
03-14-2003, 11:31 AM,
You have to go down from the ball to the first plain and swim out to the berm.

It rests on the berm at around 190'. the flag says 200' on it, but it isn't that deep- must have been put down there on a deep air dive. Wink

If you drop down over the berm it gets to around 220'-225'.

Jon
03-14-2003, 11:52 AM,
Yeah, it must have been put there on a deep air dive Smile

Yeah, that's starting to get a little bit out of my comfort level on air. Maybe when I do my mix training someday. I've cruised around on that plain a little bit but not for long. I'm getting noticeably narced at that depth as well so...

And 220 is definitely out my comfort range. The PPO2 is getting to the point where it could theoretically be lethal about then.

But hey - I like the pictures =) Maybe this summer I'll try and find it after I'm diving a lot again...I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it now.
03-14-2003, 12:11 PM,
Where exactly is the gazing ball you guys are talking about? I've seen one in a shallow area -- I think at the access by the campground (north west?). It sounds like this ball is at a much deeper location.
--Jason
03-14-2003, 01:51 PM,
I don't know which end it is, but go to the bottom of this ramp and swim out to the line that drops down to 105'. If you head out from the base of the blue barrel, you'll find it at around 160'. I think that there's a gargoyle right next to it now. You need to keep on swimming from there to find the flag.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   wazzi_ramp.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.57 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-14-2003, 02:53 PM,
There was a gazing ball at the end of this ramp kinda - if you were to go straight out from this ramp in the shallows there was a gazing ball, garden gnome, fencing, a couple of flower pots and all that fun stuff. This gazing ball is definitely deeper.

There is a buoy that marks the 105' feet of depth. If you just drop down and then head straight out over the ledge you'll hit it. You can see it around 120' of depth.

Right now, there is a line running all the way to the ball. I was diving there last weekend - you drop down to about 60' or so and there is a line running past the blue barrel, over the cliff and ending at the gazing ball on a reel. I don't know how good of an idea that is to have a guided line to the ball, but hey.

Over on another side of the lake there is something similar - go to the 70' dive platform and right around there is a rope leading into deeper water. If you follow the rope down you'll find a little marker w/ 100' written on it. The rope goes all the way down to 145' and has a plate weight on the end of it - I'm not really sure what purpose it serves.

This is kinda cool swapping stories about all the little toys buried in that lake Smile

Thi summer some friends and I want to build an underwater campsite...I've got an old tent I want to get rid of. We already practiced setting it up underwater once...hehe. It was hilarious.
03-14-2003, 03:14 PM,
There's a fake skeleton chained to a boulder down at 215' out past the flag a little ways. I think that he has been nick-named "Jimmy Hoffa". Big Grin

Jon
03-14-2003, 03:46 PM,
Haha - that's funny! I probably won't be seeing him anytime soon though Smile

What else is there that I can think of...oh yeah!

On the cliffs by the gazing ball dive...on your way back up from the gazing ball there is a nice shallow cliff. Cruising along the cliff at about 30' is a great way to do some deco/safety stop. And, at right about 28'-30' there is a little boy and girl angel figuring/ministatue that is placed into a hole in the cliff.