Remember me
Lost Password Register

DRYSUITS
07-20-2003, 12:00 PM,
DRYSUITS
SOme of the last few posts might leave paople with the impression that I don't think people should spend money on dive gear. That ishardly the case as I have spent more than my fair share over the years.

One thing that I think people UNDERSPEND on is their drysuit. A good drysuit is much more important thananydive computer. A good drysuit can be used by any diver , from one who just completed their openwater course to the most diehard tec diver. THere are even soem shops in town, Deep Blue and Underwater Connection, that will allow you to do your basic openwater course in a drysuit. IT is an essential piece of gear for diving around here.

A custom-cut drysuit, the best way to go by far, can only be properly measured by a local diveshop. there is no way of getting around this by going with something off of the internet. HAving someone, in the sotre, measure you up and make sure thatit fits once you get it is of the greatest importance.

A truly customized suit will run upwards of $2,000 and is a much better place to invest your hard earned diving dollars.

Jon
07-20-2003, 12:35 PM,
Re:DRYSUITS
I couldn't agree more. My drysuit, which is now ten years old, has proven to be my favorite piece of dive gear. They have come a long way since I bought mine, but I can't justify a new one now. If anyone is considering buying a suit, take Jon's advice and don't waste your time with a cheap one. A good suit will take a beating and last a LONG time.
07-20-2003, 08:27 PM,
I had a drysuit that was giving me nothing but trouble...I bought it used on the idea that I could save money. Needless to say, I offloaded the suit and got what I paid for it, and am eagerly awaiting my new Bare HD Trilam suit - I can't wait!!! This one was quite a bit more expensive than my used suit, but...SO worth it!

Another piece of gear I refuse to skimp on would be my regulator. I would spend any amount of money to get what I feel is the best. Luckily I discovered the joy of diving Poseidon's before I threw my money @ Scubapro!!!
07-22-2003, 09:08 AM,
When getting a new suit I would also recommend looking into a custom suit. If the legs are cut correctly you should not need any ankle weights or gaiters. Also, if the shoulders are cut correctly, you should be able to reach back and open and close your tank valve(s).

Trilam suits are the suit of choice nowdays. Vikings used to be all the rage, but the zebra mussles has taken their toll on all of that bare rubber. THey are still in use by some dive teams becasue they can be decontaminated easily and allow for the attachments of many different types of full face masks.

1/4" neoprene suits are cheap and don't provide the same performance as a shell suit. I still might go with one if it meant diving dry vs. diving wet.

BTW: I got rid of my Posiden after it started spitting ice down my throat when I was doing a salvage job one cold January day. Since that happened to me I have seen the regs freeze shut, as in give you NO air, to some of my friends, who have since gotten rid of theirs. Apeks are great cold water regs and score much higher on the breathing tests. Check out the archives on the Biritsh dive magazine site "DIVER" to see the test results for yourself.

Jon
07-22-2003, 09:26 AM,
The custom suit idea wasn't really an option for me when I ordered my suit...the price increase wasn't enough (to me) to justify the minor increase in fit. The Bare suits just seem to fit me well. But I did definitely order the trilam. I theoretically had the option of neoprene but I didn't even really think about it. It seems funny that DUI promotes their CF2000 neoprene material as even more resilient than Trilam on their website - I've just never really heard any good about it at all.

I've gotten the occasional ice chunk out of my poseidon, but never anything bad. I myself have seen all kinds of Apeks free flows out at Lake Wazee - seems kind of funny how we both seem to have seen/experienced bad equipment failures on the opposite regulators.
07-22-2003, 09:41 AM,
Jason, as you know I'm not getting rid of my Poseidons any time soon, but I think the key argument here is that Poseidons apparently fail closed where as you can still breath from a free flowing Apeks. Todd's Cyclon did this on the Milwaukee in February. My Odin was fine? That is the only Poseidon failure I've seen. Now back to drysuits ;D
07-22-2003, 10:14 AM,
The key to Apeks is turning down the IP to around 120 psi- per DIR. When they first came out I had one freeflow while diving the Willy in January, but it never stopped giving me air.

Soon after that they came out with the little metal sleeve that fit into the second stage to stop this. Switching to a lower IP and switching to the right gas for deep dives, air will freeze a reg much faster than trimix, has made all of the difference.

I am not the only one who has gotten rid of their Posiden in favor of apeks. Gert dumped his a while ago and Jerry, who used them for many years, switched almost as soon as the Apeks first hit the market here.

All of the mix divers that I dive with have switched as well. Most of them have switched for other reasons- since we no longer have freeze up problems by breathing the correct gas as mentioned. The Apeks allows you to switch out second stages underwater. They are much easier to service in the field. They normally use a much lower IP pressure, and we drop it down even more. THey use standard size hoses- read CHEAPER! And the don't have the "trap door" breathing affect- read the DIVER magazine test results for more information on that.

The one place that the Posidens, that's the 5000's and not the Odins, seem to have a following is amongst some of the side mount divers. They can route their regs how they like them, although there is a way to do it with a standard regulator set up as well.

When the Navy regualtor test first came out, in 87', the Posiden was at the top of the charts. Times change and new products come out to take that spot away from them.

After working many winter charters on Lake Michigan, I can tell you that ANY regulator can freeze up. I have seen regualtors that work great one weekend on an ice dive freeze up the next weekend on the Willy. Lake Michigan in winter is just a whole lot colder than any ice dive I have ever done.

I remember one charter where only 2 of the 14 divers actually got to dive because everyone else's regs froze up on them. Jerry was keeping a tally sheet at one time to see which ones faired best. A freeze up is managable by simply kinking your hose and continiuing to breath from it as you ascend to the surface. A much better alternative is to shut down that valve and switch to your back up- another good reason to be able to reach your tank valves.

You are right about the scubaflows. They freeze up more than anything else I have seen. I have a friend who came back from cave class and had to buy all new scubaflows because that is what his instructor had. I told him that they would freeze up and a year later they were up for sale because they had- more than once. Wink

Back to drysuits. Some suits have a true custom fit to them, like Diving Concept and Northern Diver. Other suits are ony a close approximation to what you really are, like the DUI suits. DUI takes your measurements and comes up with something close form their current supply of patterns. Other companies come up with a very specific pattern to fit you. Having said that, I have still always been a big DUI fan. I did have one of their CF200 suits and can tell you that it takes a LONG time to dry out- if it even gets a chance to inbetween diving days. The TLS suits are just a whole lot lighter and easier to patch and move around in.

Jon
08-04-2003, 01:51 PM,
I just got done with a weekend of diving my new Bare ATR HD Suit. WOW!!!! Talk about a dream.

The Bare suit fits me like a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt instead of a gunny sack like my Typhoon suit used to fit me - I couldn't believe a drysuit could fit me that well. I'm actually able to complete the range of motion exercises in my new suit - I can even turn my own H-Valves on and off now.

The suit is pretty easy to get into - the neoprene neck seal is a little challenging the first couple of times but not bad at all, and I really like the comfort of it. Definitely nice.

I was even able to ditch my ankle weights on the second dive on Sunday without any problems at all. I don't have any extra air in my legs whatsoever - it's very, very nice.

I'm happy that I spent the money on the suit - I should've never went the route of a used suit in the first place. Here's to many more years of dry diving!
08-04-2003, 06:10 PM,
Once dry, never go back! ;D
Should make the diving more fun.

Doug
08-04-2003, 06:33 PM,
God yes - it's great. I can't say enough good about that suit.

Rumour has it that Divers Realm should be at Pearl Lake this Thursday...I plan on working out the drysuit a little bit there (or wherever they end up going that day - I'm awaiting the email from them yet...)