Remember me
Lost Password Register

Moving to Madison from California.
06-26-2003, 10:21 AM,
Re:Moving to Madison from California.
Crabby Hermit isn't out of business, he just moved. THe closest dive shop to Madison that I would recommend is either Three Littel Devil's in Baraboo or Underwater Connection in Delafield.

There is also a dive club in Madison, Four Lakes Scuba, that plays underwater hockey all winter long to keep in shape- they don't do much acutal diving though.

Milwaukee is only an hour, or so, away and has great wreck diving. We were out on the wreck of the Willy last night and Rodale's listed her as one of the top 20 shipwrecks in North America a few years ago. Water temp was 53 on the surface and 43 on the bottom. Vis was pretty good, over 40', before the scuba divers got on her and stirred it up- a few friends of mine and I were freediving her before they stirred everything up.

You just missed the good season for the Madison lakes. We had 25' of vis a month ago. Right now your going to be lucky to find 5'-8'. Devil's lake is about an hour north of here and is a nice lake to snorkel in- she's only about 45' and most of the good stuff is less than 30'.

Most divers who are serious about it will end up with a dry suit if they stick around here. A good wetsuit may work for most of the year, and we do freedive in them all year round. Water temps can vary depending upon where you are. When I was spearfishing in Beaver Lake last week we had 72 degree surface temps and 66 degrees at the bottom- a far cry warmer than Lkae Michigan was last night!

If your into freediving at all give me a call when you get here and I have a group of divers you can hook up with.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

Jon

Messages In This Thread
Madison diving links - by WIdiver_Paul2 - 12-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by FreediveWI - 06-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 11:48 AM