Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125?
08-04-2005, 12:59 PM,
Re: Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125?
I use twin DS-125's, an Oly C-5050z, Oly housing and Ike twin tray and arms plus a UCLS mount for my Light Cannon (this makes my dive light hands free).

The twin 125's give me full control.  (sold the 50)  Originally I used the 50.  Then I added the 125 as primary and the 50 as "shadow fill" but the fish wouldn't cooperate.  I'm of the old school so I went with the manual controllers on both strobes (and I use Manual and "My Modes" on the camera) but if you're using the Ikelite housing they are TTL capable.  I find the manual controllers really help in providing total lighting control.  I can quickly go from deep blue ambient light backgrounds in the caribbean to great macros with totally BLACK backgrounds in an instant.  As an added bonus, by having twin 125's I have duplicate backups (O rings, modeling light bulbs and chargers).  I use the built in modeling light to speed focus at depth or under (usually "in") alga blooms or on any night dives.

To answer your question, they do work together but there are limitations.  Honostly though, with some thought and planning you can work around almost all of them.  You can find a thorough discussion on this at then click on Forum and do a search.

I could loose the housing and camera but I'd be crying over the loss of my strobes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Anyone use the Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125? - by Carvendive - 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM