Remember me
Lost Password Register

New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System"
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM,
Re: New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System"
Saw this and had to post...

The Razor is an excellent sidemount system.  It is a highly engineered version of a harness that has been in use for 20+ years.  It is very easy to make one yourself.

I've attached a photo of the harness in use in OW and a photo of the parts used to build it.  The only items I couldn't source at a dive shop were the 2 inch square and triangle pieces.  I bought a piece of stainless rod and had a family member tack them together with a welder.

I used a 6L MSR Dromedary bag with hydration kit for buoyancy - it was WAY overkill.  I could have used a 4L.  Buoyancy was super easy and I know I could have handled a stage bottle w/ no problems and most likely two.  I HARDLY used the buoyancy bag.

I dove this in open saltwater and freshwater cave.  Was easily able to attach primary + 2 backup lights, primary/safety/jump reels, line markers, etc.  This has all the same d-rings as a standard BP/Wing combo.

Sidemount kicks a** all around and this is another awesome way to dive and an even better way to get in and out of boats/ramps/etc.  Some of the manufactured harnesses (Nomad etc) are very nice and streamlined but this thing is like diving with nothing on.  I mostly dive CCR now but will not dive anything but sidemount open circuit - it is just way too convenient, way too easy and the safety factor rocks.

I'm curious about using this with a single AL80 sometime, ala "Monkey Diving".  It would be a super light way to travel to warm destinations.

Sorry to ressurect old post - I'm passionate about sidemount and this harness is great, couldn't resist sticking my nose in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Razor.jpg (Size: 39.16 KB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg   19947_1338959081554_1458474116_942437_1517463_n.jpg (Size: 54.04 KB / Downloads: 69)
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water.  The lucky ones make frequent return visits.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System" - by JDostal - 05-30-2011, 10:13 PM