Remember me
Lost Password Register

Close Call
08-28-2009, 02:31 PM,
Close Call
Good day all, just wanted to stick my neck out here again and kick the bucket some to get things stirred up a little.

My normal dive buddy and myself were out enjoying a rainy day diving last week at our local quarry. Had a great time as we were both trying out new gear setups and he his first back plate. The wing we used was my older wing that I have over 100 dives on, slightly loved........ The close call happened on the third dive after no incidents on the previous dives, we were trying a giant stride entry when my bud did his after I was already in the water, his low pressure inflater stripped out on the connection where it connects to the wing and popped off as he hit the water. Lucky for us he did have his reg in like you are to have, and he quickly inflated his dry suit to add boyency, than swam back to the dock to fix the issue. Replaced the coupling on the wing and all was well after that. If he was to have had an issue, I was right there with a reg in my hand to assist if needed and offer my help as needed beyond the air supply. After the repair, the dive was great, we saw the largest Muskie I have ever seen in my life. This wing was serviced every winter season, all valves and fittings were taken off and inspected, cleaned, and replaced as needed. Inspection of the coupling showed no obvious damage to the threads and no smoking gun at all. Please inspect and consider replacing these fittings on your yearly service. It sure would have sucked for me to have that wing at 130ft and that to happen! Soo.... Lesson learned here.

Messages In This Thread
Close Call - by jmohns - 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Re: Close Call - by Dewit2it - 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Re: Close Call - by dfreeman - 08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Re: Close Call - by Dewit2it - 08-30-2009, 09:10 AM