Remember me
Lost Password Register

A Soldier's Night Before Christmas
12-31-2003, 12:38 AM,
Re:A Soldier's Night Before Christmas
I have never posted on this board but have been reading it for some time. The members of this board are highly informative and educated, by the time I put together a coherent thought, someone has already said it better. I thank all of you for your submissions.

A little about my self I am certified at AOW and dive recreationally and for my Fire Dept. as a search and recovery diver.

What has brought on my first submission was reading this post “A Soldier's Night Before Christmas”.

I can remember growing up, being at my grandparents house on Christmas eve while my grandfather spoke that exact same poem, just change a few words. What made that moment so amazing was that he didn’t read it, he recited it from memory.

How you ask? Because he was the author. It was written in 1947 while he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan.

PFC. Frank Detkowski
United States Army, 506th Infantry Regiment

Below is a link certifying what I am saying is true along with other military literature.

The meaning of the poem hasn’t changed, I just believe in giving credit when credit is due and this hit close to home. I am in no way attacking Gert, his intentions where good.
My family continues to serve in the military and your heartfelt gratitude I know is appreciated.

As always, stay safe and keep wet(unless your lucky enough to have a dry suit).

Dennis T. Detkowski II

Messages In This Thread
A Soldier's Night Before Christmas - by Deep Blue - 12-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Re:A Soldier's Night Before Christmas - by firefighterdennis - 12-31-2003, 12:38 AM