Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather instead of OC tech ?
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM,
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ?
Ok, I promised the concise answer

So to concisely answer the question is to throw out all the experiences I’ve seen (fluff in the middle) skip the previous post and read these last paragraphs. My experience shows me having taught divers from very little experience that simply wish to look at pretty fishes, to quite competent DIR (no zealot jokes, credit where credit due) trained divers, and Instructors – they all have challenges.  If you train a CCR diver respective to the standards, you have approximately 6 requisite dives and the student is prepared to now learn how to dive in the real world.  They are no more or less qualified than an equivalent (Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedures) tech certified diver.  How they gain the experience to go on and dive Cocos to photograph hammerhead sharks, or to dive the Pringle is the same path of either learn the “school of Hard Knocks”, socialize with other competent CCR divers, or hang out with your favorite CCR instructor and gain from their hard knocks…

The instructor can adapt the training to fit the type of diving the student sees themselves doing.  It is technically a violation of standards to “over teach”, or “under teach” but you can challenge your students respective to their background and future needs.  If a student comes to me with years of “DIR” tech habits, I will do my best to challenge them and break the O.C. habits that are counter-productive and sometimes dangerous, while keeping the good skills.  If I have a newer diver wishes to dive the Bradley next year…well the basic class only provides so much, they need time, mentoring and more training to fit the need.  I don’t need to break O.C. bad habits, but the work is to develop safe new CCR habits.

Today I encourage divers to go straight for CCR if they are interested in Tech, why learn how to operate a slide rule when a pocket calculator is handy, a set of deco tables when a Shearwater computer is available (Ooops! Stepped in another debate there..never mind), why get together in dive clubs to talk when you can be an “cyber tiger” on a web chat board… but seriously new technology is here that does some amazing stuff.  Yes it is nice to have a student who is experienced and you can never have too much experience (if you keep the ego police on guard).  The point is Go Diving, in-fact dive a CCR!

Good Diving

Ron

Messages In This Thread
Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by matt t. - 03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by Chris H - 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by Vtach - 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by deep thought - 04-03-2009, 12:53 PM