Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather instead of OC tech ?
03-28-2009, 08:25 PM,
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ?
Rebreather technology is changing so it may be likely in the future that there are more divers who start out diving with a rebreather but as of right now I think it is best that rebreather divers have a solid OC diving base with preference to entry level technical diving (Adv Ntx/Deco).  Regardless of your OC training level, as soon as you start diving a CCR, I think you have entered the realm of technical diving.  The units themselves are not particularly complicated in their "general" design of operation but the importance in understanding concepts of technical diving (Charles, Henry and Daltons laws) should not be understated.  It is also important for the rebreather diver to be comfortable with OC equipment in order to properly manage a bailout.

I think the biggest drawback to technical divers moving to a rebreather is the "unlearning" of OC habits that are deeply ingrained.  They make you a good OC diver but they sure do help to screw things up on CCR.  It would probably take less time for a new diver to pick up on the finer points of CCR diving in relation to buoyancy control and loop management because they do not have these habits.

I won't be surprised if rebreathers become more mainstream in the future to the point of divers making a choice on which path to take OC or CCR.  I don't think that is feasible right now but as technology advances I think it is quite likely.

Messages In This Thread
Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by matt t. - 03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by Chris H - 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Re: Rebreather instead of OC tech ? - by Vtach - 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM