Remember me
Lost Password Register

Disabled/Handicapped divers
11-15-2004, 04:52 PM,
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers
Thanks for the replies and information on sites to get more information.

Scuba has been one of the best things I've done since I have been injured almost 20 years ago. It sure has shown me how out of shape I have become! Guess it is time to get back into the gym.

I didn't find many of the skills too difficult to perform. What I did find a problem with is weighting. I found my self working so hard just to keep upright in the water when on the surface or even below. I was trained using a weight integrated back flotation BC with the clip in weights toward the front and trim pockets high up on the shoulders. I found I could swim really well underwater and if I kept my self swimming everything was great. When I stopped swimming is when I started having the most difficulties. The slightest weight off kilter would spin me over sometimes as much as on my back looking at the surface. Cool...but not quite what I was trying to achieve. Since I was working so hard just to keep me stable in the water I would really suck up some air.

I am looking into scheduling some pool time and picking out diving gear that I will purchase. I figure that is the best way to go. Then I will not have to worry about renting something that I am not familiar with. I have read and like a lot of what the DIR approach has to offer. I like the idea that you can steamline yourself much better with less (makes total sense to me) and streamling myself will go a long way to saving me some swimming effort. I also like the long hose regulator setup compared to the traditional recreational diving setup. Since I went through this training and certification with my wife we found that having to donate was much more difficult using the traditional method. My diving instructor uses a DIR setup and that worked so much easier.

Any thoughts on DIR equipment?

Messages In This Thread
Disabled/Handicapped divers - by wldake - 11-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by jasondbaker - 11-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by Omicron - 11-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by MikeS - 11-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by wldake - 11-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by Chris H - 11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by Rik - 11-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by scubert - 11-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by wldake - 11-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Re:Disabled/Handicapped divers - by dfreeman - 11-21-2004, 02:16 AM