Remember me
Lost Password Register

The Tech fast track
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM,
Re: The Tech fast track
I don't have a problem with the "fast track" to tech diving.  I think the key to success with the fast track is knowing your limitations.  The most obvious limitation in this case is competence.  I consider competence as the combination of experience and mastery.  Education, training and practice are the key factors to mastery.  If you are comfortable with the equipment and have mastered basic skills, the proper training and frequent practice will provide a qualified entry level technical diver.  Once you demonstrate that level of mastery, you need to work on experience.  Frequent dives planned within and near the limits of you competence level will provide a great base for advancement to deeper and/or more technical dives.  It is my opinion that recognizing this limitation along with good instructors/mentors and frequent practice can quickly build a solid technical diver relatively quickly and safely.

I can respect individuals who decide to take the fast track and still understand the importance of proper training, equipment, practice and most importantly competence.  Josh, I think you have the right attitude.  I hope it's a virus and spreading. ;D  I also agree with the importance of setting good examply in diving, good point by systematic entropy.  People can ultimately do what they want and there is no limit on ignorance in some cases, so be it.  But what about the people effected by an ignorant divers death?  What about the family?  What about the Captain?  What about the other members of the group?  If you ever have to deal with the fallout after a unnecessary death, you may rethink your opinion.  It effects everyone directly involved, sometimes quite significantly.  Sometimes it is worth a try to address issues than be silent and deal with the after effects.

That being said, I have zero respect for the individuals out there knowingly diving well beyond their competence level.  Especially those who promote themselves as "competent" but yet demonstrate one way or another that they lack the knowledge, education and equipment to properly plan and execute even entry level technical dives.  An accident waiting to happen...

Messages In This Thread
The Tech fast track - by systematic.entropy - 02-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by ehuber - 06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by systematic.entropy - 06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by josh b. - 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by Vtach - 06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by DiveCaptDean - 02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Re: The Tech fast track - by arcFlash - 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by Nordic Diver - 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by DiveCaptDean - 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Re: The Tech fast track - by matt t. - 02-21-2007, 08:41 PM