Remember me
Lost Password Register

Continuous Webbed Harness
10-03-2005, 09:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2005, 09:39 AM by eric myers.)
Re: Continuous Webbed Harness
[table]The other piece of advice I have here is...get a f*ing dive ladder! [/table]

I will admit that when I said this it was a little crass. I will also admit that when I said it, I understood that it isn't practical for everyone or every craft.

However, there is certain safety gear that should be present on every dive boat and I think we could all have a discussion as to what that gear should include. In my opinion a dive ladder, swim platform, or other method of egress at the end of a dive is pretty important. Especially, when everyone on board is engaged in diving, that is in the rare instance when you lack a surface support crew. 

F.Y.I -- We have now put removable and stowable dive ladders on two of our dive boats! After market and customized to each craft they cost less than $500 each. Tip: talk to your local Aluminum or SS welder, throw a little cash at him/her, everyone could use some money on the side and you will have a great dive ladder!

10-03-2005, 02:19 PM,
Instead of adding an extra failure point to your gear I would suggest a yoga class to loosen up the shoulders- also might help you with your air consumption if your a hoover.  ;D

I done many a dive out of a dive kayak, no ladder and no one else to help me up with my gear, and never had a problem while wearing a drysuit and thinsulate. Also dove the same rig on small boats with no ladders and large boats with walk out ladders and platforms.

It takes some effort to adjust the harness to begin with, but pays off in the long run- like anything else.

jon
10-18-2005, 07:54 AM,
As I've been reading about DIR and equipment, I found someone who has a different solution to the same problem. 

basically the diver doesn't put the stopper on the lower right of the backplate.  Since she's using a buckle to keep the light in place, that holds the webbing in place.  If he needs to get out, he can loosen the buckle and lengthen the shoulder strap.  Interesting method.  Thought you guys might be interested.

The actual post: