Remember me
Lost Password Register

North Woods Diving
08-13-2011, 08:10 PM,
North Woods Diving
Just got back from vacation. Got several dives in over the past week. Did a couple dives at Fawn Lake in Hazelhurst. Family runs the resort, and I got a chance to kick around and search for things left in the lake from a tornado in the '80's. Also spent a few days at Buckatabon in Conover. Found a half dozen anchors, some new and some old, along with several fishing lures. I could tell the fish weren't used to seeing divers as a dozen bass followed me for the 35 minute dive.

All things considered, it was a good way to spend a week of vacation, along with a few rounds of golf and time with the family.

Matt
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
08-14-2011, 02:04 PM,
Re: North Woods Diving
I have been in Stormy, Star, Trout, N. Twin, Anvil, Otter and many others up there but never Buckatabon.
Where did you go in? What was the botton like and how was the vis?
Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
08-14-2011, 03:32 PM,
I went via boat. I was camping at Buckatabon Lodge & Lighthouse Inn, which is located on the NE corner of the lake. Driving there from Eagle River, you take 45N to K-West. Turn left on E. Buckatabon Rd, right on Rush St, end at the campground. If you're interested, the bar there has a pontoon boat for rent for $125/ day. We had a fishing boat up there and I've got an uncle that lives on Hwy K, east of 45. He knew of a shallow reef where the bottom rose from 30 ft, plateau'd around 7 ft, then dropped back off. That is where he dumped me off. The bottom was all rock and sand, with some rocks about 8 ft diameter. Half a dozen small mouth bass followed me throughout, waiting for me to kick up the bottom.
08-16-2011, 07:48 PM,
Yes, big rocks are good. Drop your anchor in between them and they don't come back. We leave our boat on Otter Lake and I make the tour doing shore dives. I get up early and I'm back by 10am before the family notices that I'm gone. I like to get a following of bass by turning over rocks and feeding them crayfish. There is nothing more fun...
There are just so many lakes up there to dive.
Did you get your air fills from Bill at Timber Bay?
Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM,
No, I didn't need fills. Brought twin's up with me, which lasted for the three shallow dives. I think I came home with about 1300 psi left in them. I agree that there are quite a few lakes up there to dive. I think that goes for the entire state really. I don't think at any point you're more than 10-15 miles from a body of water.

Matt
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM,
That is really a great way to get in some practice with doubles too!  They are a pain out of the water but I sure love them in water!
When I was getting used to them I done a few 3 hour plus dives with the kids following the bubbles in the Kayaks!  It was a win win thing!
08-19-2011, 06:13 PM,

Lake Kentuck has several awesome rock piles. We usually check them every year to see what we can find.
We have even gone up and dove in the Sylvian Wilderness area near Watersmeet.
Got into a discussion with the head of the National Forest who said we could not dive as scuba was a mechanical device. After much discussion he finally drew lines on the map of Crooked Lake and agreed to let us dive so long as we did not cross into the protected area.