Remember me
Lost Password Register

Another Dive Accident in Port Washington
07-11-2009, 01:22 PM,
Another Dive Accident in Port Washington
We were diving out of Port Washington today when we heard a call come over the radio from the Len-Der hailing the rescue boat out of PW. They were on the Northerner and had an unconscious diver that they were giving O2 and performing CPR on. Back in PW an eye-witness said they unloaded a body. Did anyone else hear anything about this?
07-11-2009, 06:59 PM,
Re: Another Dive Accident in Port Washington
From the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel

Update: Scuba diver who died is identified
By Scott Williams of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: July 11, 2009 5:24 p.m.

Port Washington — The victim of a fatal scuba-diving accident Saturday in Lake Michigan has been identified as Deep K. Varma, 41, of Verona.

The Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department said Varma was pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m. after diving into the lake Saturday morning near Port Washington.

According to the sheriff's department, Varma was among 13 members of a diving club on a chartered expedition to explore an 1868 shipwreck site about five miles southeast of Port Washington.

He went into the water with a partner just before 10 a.m., and shortly after reaching the lake bottom he began having trouble breathing, the sheriff's department said.

Crew members on the chartered boat performed CPR, but the Dane County resident was pronounced dead after being returned to harbor. An autopsy is planned Monday.

Another scuba diver, Phil J. Patz, 48, of Stone Park, Ill., died June 25 after diving 300 feet deep in the lake southeast of Port Washington. In that incident, the diver was in the water alone, with three colleagues in a boat on the water's surface.

07-11-2009, 07:31 PM,
That sucks...
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM,
Very saddened to hear this news; I recall the emails organizing this trip. Condolences and sympathy to all involved or affected.
07-17-2009, 11:28 AM,
This seems to be happening more than I remember, is there anything the dive community can take out of these accidents to impress upon the newer divers, or the older ones for that matter. I know the one involved a rebreather but how about the other? I too am very saddened by the loss of another diver friend, though I did not personally know the diver, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this very sad event. James
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM,
Fatalities in this area have been non existant.  Yeah, we had two this year, but it happens.  The rebreather accident, well, he was literally living on the edge.  The accident on the Northerner?  Hard to say, but that should never have happened. 
    31 years ago, when I took my open water, rule number one was pounded into our heads.  Not the current Padi BS, but what ever happens to you underwater, do not panic.  Stop, think, plan, react.  Rule number two was to never forget rule number one.  There are rules in diving and they are inflexible.  Breaking these rules will cost you dearly.  Dive with in your limits and advance with proper training.  That wreck has been there for 150 years and it will be there next year when you are ready. 
    My prayers go out to those left behind.
07-18-2009, 10:44 AM,

1.  Dive within your training and ability.
2.  Regularly practice your skills.
3.  Make sure your equipment is well maintained.
4.  Don't cheap out on equipment.
5.  Be prepared for emergencies.  As oldtimer stated already, panic will only make things worse.
6.  Regardless of training/experience, 1-5 still apply.... complacency will get you in just as much trouble as panic....
07-18-2009, 02:03 PM,
I do not think worldwide we have any more accidents, we just have more worldwide awareness and publicity via the internet primarily.  It is a lot harder when the accidents happen next door and it makes everyone themselves and even their family members question what they are doing for fun.  There is a risk everytime you pretty much do anything, accept the risk, do you best to minimize it, and still either accept that fact it is always a risk and possibility or stop doing that action, weather it be diving, driving your car, snow skiing and more.
07-18-2009, 03:35 PM,
I do not agree with oldtimer, I believe that PADI and the other organizations that teach today are a lot better than the way it used to be. I believe its not the always because of the training, but that accidents do happen. I have been diving and teaching for over forty years and believe that the way we teach today turns out better divers. Years ago it used to be a macho sport this doesn't always turn out better divers.... just divers that thought they were better.
07-18-2009, 08:05 PM,
I see a lot of divers that are diving over their training and skill levels, and many more that have had the training but don't follow what they learned. Any more word on exactly what did happen on the Northerner dive? The paper said that there was supposed to be an autopsy performed last Monday. Any word on that?