Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving in Superior on t he Madeira
11-29-2003, 02:35 PM,
Diving in Superior on t he Madeira
Any one care to dive the Madeira up in Superior. Agroup is going from the Minnesaota forum. Thay are diving at 11:00 AM on Sunday the 30th. Let me know if anyone wants to go (the wreck is a shore dive in a 100' by Split Rock). I will be leaving early Sunday to get there or late tonight if anyone wants to split a room.
11-30-2003, 10:48 PM,
Re:Diving in Superior on t he Madeira
Just got back from diving up at Split Rock. Some people might think I am crazy for driving 4 hours one way. Taking a nice dive. Then driving 4 hours back home. But it was worth it. This is jsut a great wreck to dive at this time of year. Visibilty was 60' easy. You walk down to the shore with your gear on and swim along the bottom until you get to the bow section in about 40' of water. Got to see the bow and stern section which are in decent shape for having been crushed against the cliff. What is really great about this dive is that the area almost never freezes over. Anyone care to join me for a couple of dives on the Madeira later this winter? The guys from Minnesota were great to dive with very nice and helpful.
12-01-2003, 08:52 AM,
What was/is the surface temperature? 38-40? I'd like to do that dive, but the year is wrapping up fast, and I think it is more like a 7 hour drive for me.
12-01-2003, 06:31 PM,
I have to go to Duluth on business and could stay an extra night to dive this wreck. Would really enjoy doing this as I have heard a lot about it and have not had the chance yet.

Will let you know next time I am up that way.

Doug
12-02-2003, 02:33 AM,
puddlejumper, did you meet up with Richard? He runs groups up there every month during the winter. Did you penetrate the wreck? The opening can be tough to find.
--Jason
12-02-2003, 12:33 PM,
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I would guess the surface temperature to have been around mid30s to high 20s.

I did in fact dive it with Richard and several people that had come up with him. Richard is a super guy and was very relaxed when I showed up at his door. Be warned however that they do not believe in an early start. Just a great group to dive with.

I did not penetrate the wreck as I was trying out a new gear configuration and was making sure I was comfortable before I do.

I did find the area to penetrate though.

My thoughts on this wreck would be to drive up the night before. There is a nice and inexpensive Inn just a few miles down the road. Then do two dives on a Saturday spend the evening bumming around the area. There are a fair amount of places to see. Then get up Sunday and either dive the Silver Bay wreck or if it is iced in do the Madeira again. It was a really pleasant dive and with there being a large debris area (though a lot of salvage went on at this site) you could enjoy several dives. Also the topography was extremely interesting as well. I would also recommend going out to the wreck underwater as opposed to on the surface.