wiscuba.com
Cave Accident In Flordia - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Cave Accident In Flordia (/showthread.php?tid=814)

Cave Accident In Flordia - Bubblemaker - 10-05-2005

Re: Cave Accident In Flordia - Chris H - 10-05-2005

The moral of the story is that you should analze your gas before you use it, and pre dive drills/checks should be done.   Other than for a dive emergency, I can't think of any reason the isolator would be closed.

Re: Cave Accident In Flordia - divbum - 10-05-2005

I cannot even comment...

Re: Cave Accident In Flordia - schultz - 10-05-2005

Truly an unfortunate accident. My sympathies reach out to the family and friends affected by this tragedy.

A group at TDS has been talking in great depth about this accident, and in particular, the issue of filling doubles with a closed isolator valve... you can never be too careful when analyzing your mix.

You can find the thread here:

Re: Cave Accident In Flordia - WIdiver_Paul - 10-09-2005

That's our friend Greg Stanton in the article (you Wisconsin divers saw him at the Ghost Ships festival in front of the Diversions booth with the fancy Meg RB)- too bad for the diver and family. If I had to be involved in a dive accident, i'd feel lucky to have someone like Greg at hand to keep a cool head and accomplish the best rescue possible.

/ hats off
// making mental note to self to analyze every time, no matter the supplier, the mix, or the site. Complacency kills.
/// Looks guiltily in the mirror

Re: Cave Accident In Florida - Tol - 12-14-2005

Does anyone have any more information about this? 

I'm pretty certain that Rudy was my OW instructor.  I'm not tactless enough to call him for clarification, but I feel horrible for him.  And I'm mighty curious.  There can't be that many cave-diving Rudy Banks in that area of FL who have a mixing panel in their garage. 

Damn, that's just horrible.  So many "if onlys" in this situation. 
Tol

Re: Cave Accident In Flordia - codecruncher - 05-25-2006

She has been discharged from the hospital.