wiscuba.com
Back from Fiji... - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Back from Fiji... (/showthread.php?tid=809)

Pages: 1 2

Back from Fiji... - schultz - 09-25-2005

Heya everyone,

Finally got back from Fiji today... too tired to really post a trip report right now, so instead I'll upload a few photos.

First one is a shot I took of a blue spotted sting ray I located under a coral head off the northern shores of Taveuni.

Second is a shot I took of Mike Trussel (owner of Kai Viti divers ) on a reef called Mount Mutiny, located 16 miles out on the northern side of the big island Viti Levu. It's only a 3000 foot drop to the bottom, but note all the soft corals in the foreground. Truly awesome diving.

Re: Back from Fiji... - stevenq99 - 09-25-2005

great pictures!  The one of the blue spotted sting ray looks just like the one on the front of the PADI book.

Re: Back from Fiji... - guido - 09-26-2005

Wow, are you going to post more pictures? Those look great, also what camera setup were you using?

Re: Back from Fiji... - schultz - 09-27-2005

I'll try to post more photos when I get home after work this evening. The downside of coming off a vacation is returning to stupid, sucky work, and I've got to catch up there before I continue to post more photos.

As far as my setup, it's nothing special. Canon G5 with an Ikelite housing. DS-50 and DS-125 flashes. I tried to keep it relatively inexpensive with the understanding that the camera (during some awesome dive, I'm sure) will eventually flood. My only regret for this trip is that I really could have used a wide-angle lens. That will be my next purchase before my trip to Belize this January.

Re: Back from Fiji... - schultz - 09-28-2005

So more photos kids...

First couple are from the famous White Wall, so named because of the unusual soft coral that inhabit the area. Starting at a depth of about 50 feet you swim through a cave and pop out at about 120 feet (Should all the divers have been cave certified for that?). It's a tough swim getting to the cave in the heavy current, but once inside, there was virtually no current. The wall continues to a depth of over 200 feet. The underwater escarpment is covered with an almost luminescent white coral tinged with lavender that appears white at depth, hence the name.

First shot is the divers in the cave, backlit by the sun. Second shot are some of the squirrel fish (or something like squirrel fish) near the exit of the cave.

More White Wall photos...

First is a huge sea fan, the second is of the wall itself... simply too beautiful for words....

A few more shots for today...

First one is of those cute little anenome fish you find all over the place. Everyone, especially kids seeing the photos, would call them "Nemo."

Second is an Octopus...

Re: Back from Fiji... now the report (part i) - schultz - 10-05-2005

The travel brochures always make the destinations so incredibly fanciful that many voyagers to remote locations tend to forget how long it can actually take to get there. In this instance we are focusing on the islands of Fiji, which are located slightly north and east of Australia. The diving here is wondrous, but with a time difference of 17 hours, halfway there, your brain begins asking the question “Why am I doing this?”

Leaving LAX at 11:30pm on a Thursday night can help a bit with transect, allowing the traveler to sleep during the flight, but you still lose a whole day in travel. One can look at it as if it were daylight savings time on steroids. Instead of spring forward one hour, you spring forward a complete day, missing your Friday in its entirety. Air Pacific has a great staff, and of course being an international flight, the free drinks are always appreciated. I would recommend Fiji’s Bitter. A product of the Carlton Brewery in Fiji, it is a fine English style Bitter that makes for a good hot weather beer as well as an excellent sleep aide.

We finally arrive on the main island of Viti Levu at 5:00am Fijian time. Our travels are almost, but not quite over since we still have to take a smaller flight to our final destination. Tavueni is the third largest island in the over 300 total comprising the nation of Fiji. Also know as the Garden Island, its rain forests, friendly people, and incredible reefs truly provide a diver’s mecca.

Our fourth and final flight was running a bit late and we knew we were in for a ride when, with hopefully all luggage and people aboard, the captain closed the aircraft, sat in his seat, and exclaimed “OK!” No pre-boarding speech, no “please take a moment to read your safety card, no “make certain your trays and seats are in their upright position”, or “make certain your luggage is stowed properly,” just a “enough chit-chat let’s see what this puppy can do and fly her to the next stop, OK!”

This final leg took us no higher in altitude than 3000 feet, but unfortunately through some of the tropical storms that frequent rain forests. It was a little bumpy to say the least, and with the caviler landing we made at Savusavu en route to Tavueni, you begin to question their qualifications. But given the all mountains and the small, one-plane-only landing fields nestled amongst them, it becomes increasingly apparent that these guys are effectively bush pilots getting you safely to all these 300 islands. Finally, at 10:00 am Fijian time – after 27 hours of travel, 3 jet aircraft, and one small twin-engine propeller puddle jumper, we finally arrive at our destination.

After a nice long sleep to rid our fatigued bodies of our travels, we awoke to the sounds of what we thought was bird chatter. Looking outside our room however, we noticed a tree full of rather large fruit bats, all hanging upside down in their roosts, squawking at one another when encroachment of their personal space was violated. Most fruit bats are endangered and belong to the genus Pteropus. Pteropus bats do not occur in continental Africa, Europe or the Americas but are widespread throughout Asia, from Pakistan and India, China and South East Asia through to Australasia and the Pacific islands. They are found on the pacific islands, ranging as far as Fiji and Samoa but not as far as Hawaii. For more info, see

The Fruitbats seemed to entrap all the visitors to the resort every day, but we were here to dive….

Re: Back from Fiji... - guido - 10-06-2005

With all the traveling, and I am sure a quite expensive plane ticket, was it worth it?  I was thinking about going there in a few years, but I am not sure if I should spend alot to go there, or save the money and go on two possible trips elsewhere.

Re: Back from Fiji... - schultz - 10-06-2005

The plane tickets are expensive... but that's the case for anywhere in that region. Was Fiji worth it? I'll say depends on what you're looking for in the diving realm. For me and my wife it far exceeded anything we've done to date in saltwater and on coral reefs... the fish were simply all over the place as shown in the photo below (that's my wife "plowing" through the fish schools). And where else can you see so many species of lionfish?

Stay tuned for part II of my trip report to find out more....