wiscuba.com
What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? (/showthread.php?tid=715)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - schultz - 07-20-2005

But by calling TDS people names, are you not perpetuating the same weakness? If one does that, they're creating a hostile environment that scares people from learning the philosophies in question. I too disagree with the "I'm better than you" thing, and I certainly don't agree with calling people strokes, no matter what their level of training or certification. Calling other divers names is yet another one of the GI3'isms, and I do not believe it is the core thinking behind DIR.

In summary, the lessons here are basically that we've each taken something from DIR, we may not agree with all that it offers, yet we use aspects of it in our diving. If the aspects of DIR include a holistic approach to diving, shouldn't this approach also include the whole of the dive community?

<singing> "I'd like to teach the world to sing (in perfect harmony).... "

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - WIdiver_Paul - 07-20-2005

You posted the link, just calling a spade a spade. Mean people suck, no matter what cheek you turn. If bashing me makes people feel like they are the victors, that's their illusion.

Doesn't make it right, doesn't make me wrong for having an issue with it.

Just puts a "If you're not going to play the game my way, i'm taking my ball and going home!" spin on it when not taken out of context.

It's funny the reactions you get when you call people on their shiat.

/ TDS mods have edited out every nasty thing THEY had to say, btw Matt.
// now what's that about a DIR sewing machine?
/// yep, we're going off-topic for sure, now.

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - Dive time - 07-20-2005

This topic always interests me because I seem to be on the wrong side when talking to DIR people.  Just for the record, when I dove OC I did dive with a long hose with bungies, and a back plate/harness.  I would dive with many of the principles of DIR, and it would be hard to distinguish between mine and DIR's.  I decided a long time ago to take diving to a new level and I felt the only way to get there was on CCR.  I'm not saying anything about anyone elses diving, or equipment. 

I get turned off by DIR phylosiphy, and the I won't dive with you decause....., and your not safe because....., and all my team members are all the same......

Nothing against diving one way or the other.  I just feel like I'm always outside the Clicky DIR groups, and explain how anyone is supposty get in your little groups if they don't want to dive DIR in everyway.  Not that I want to, but I can't help feeling alittle put out by the statments. 

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - Vtach - 07-20-2005

Why don't you try posting some information about yourself and try getting to know some of the people on the board.  You are new to the forum, it seems that no one knows you and you came on pretty strong right away.  People are bound to respond the same.

I think this is a pretty open group and I don't think anyone here is so hard core about DIR that we try to push anyone out of the group because they aren't DIR.  I can understand your negativity about DIR given some of the history and also other message boards.  If you hang around this board long enough I think you'll find we do more joking about that crap than anything.  Take a look at some of WI Diver Pauls posts and pix, some good comic relief there on DIR ;D. 

As far diving goes, I think most folks here on the board will dive with just about anyone (myself included).  I start to get selective when it comes to deco/overhead/tech whatever anyone wants to call it.  I need to know who I'm diving with and how they handle themselves and has really nothing to do with DIR, fraternity, cliques or ego.  It has to do with safety and just a general comfort with the dive.

Sorry that you feel put out and that we may fall into the clicky DIR category you describe but I think if you hang around you won't find that to be true.

Todd

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - dfreeman - 07-20-2005

Todd will even dive with a stroke like me.

Doug

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - WIdiver_Paul - 07-20-2005

Yeah, i'll dive with ya, i'll be getting my CCR cert this fall on my next trip to FL (Greg Stanton, Megalodon, Wakulla Dive Center) more than likely. Don't know whati'll do with it, but it's good to experience everything. Welcome to Wisconsin.

Err, unless you're from Illinois.

m'kay, just kidding, the fibs need all the ribbing they can get  Wink

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - Vtach - 07-20-2005

My wife is a fib....err....I mean from Illinois ;D

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - Chris H - 07-21-2005

It's because he thinks you're cute Doug.  I, on the other hand, can get past your good looks and would just dive with you anyway. Wink

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - NEHDAD - 07-21-2005

Chris,

If you can not find one at the store let me know I think I still have one sitting around the house. 

Rich

Re: What event made you head toward/away from DIR? - scubert - 07-21-2005

that's okay Todd, we won't hold it against you. Wink