wiscuba.com
Opinions needed - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Opinions needed (/showthread.php?tid=62)

Pages: 1 2

Opinions needed - TomG - 05-18-2003

Ok, here we go:

There are lots of opinions, and I'd like to get some more before making any purchase.
I'm looking for some advice, and please no rhetoric on the merits of one type of diving philosophy over another, about the pros and cons of each of the following:

BCD vs. backplate and wings (and the merits of the various materials in backplates)
and
OMS IQ pack vs. Dive-Rite Transpac vs. Scubapro s-Tek harness system.

I'd like some first-hand reports of each, and again, please if you haven't dove with these personally, don't give me anything second hand.

My type of diving now:
Average recreational, Wazee a few times a year, some experience on Lake Michigan, Superior, and Huron, maybe one warm-water trip per year. Most of my diving is done in local lakes. I'd like to take some of the more advanced courses, like those from TDI, and I'd like to buy the gear I can "grow with" as my skills and abilities change.

Thanks,

Tom.

Re:Opinions needed - scubert - 05-18-2003

If you are thinking of continuing forward with more advanced diving I would really recommend a full backplate and wing rather than a "softpack" style. I would recommend the Stainless Steel plate (-6lb buoyancy) as if you are diving around here you are going to need at least that much weight, and the plate will help you lose some lead.

I started with a Zeagle Ranger, which is pretty similar to the IQ pack used without the backplate. While I thought it was very comfortable and relatively easy to use it was not a stable platform for a lot of the gear I needed to add. A pony doesn't mount too well, it tends to flop around because the whole system is soft. There is no great way to add a canister light to the waist. If you ever think you might need doubles you MUST have a BP.
The IQ pack style of BC also tends to have some inherent buoyancy from the padding, is a bit bulkier than a plain backplate harness, and costs a LOT more than 15' of 2" webbing. One of my dive buddies recently made the same "gear journey" I did but made one stop on the way. He started with a Ranger, got the OMS BP and deluxe harness, then changed over to a standard one-piece harness.

The most basic, versatile platform you can dive with is a backplate and wing. You can change wings to suit your diving. If a part is damaged it can be easily replaced, as all pieces are modular. The basic one-piece harness is inexpensive and comfortable. Also, if you do decide to continue in advanced training you are all ready to mount a pony, stage bottles, canister lights, back-up lights, or whatever else you may need.

I believe Deep Blue is renting backplate/harness systems, I heard Pirates Cover was too, and Underwater Connection rents Zeagle equipment and can order OMS. You might want to try before you buy.

Re:Opinions needed - matt t. - 05-18-2003

I second what scubert said. I'm the buddy that took the recent journey. The backplate is SO much more stable and uncluttered, is more versatile, and generally cheaper. Try them both and see what works best. You might decide you want both! If you need a used Ranger let me know! Good Luck.

Matt

Re:Opinions needed - jasondbaker - 05-18-2003

I think your desire to continue with the advanced learning means that a backplate is in your future. I know at least a half dozen people who have switched to a backplate just in the past couple months.

Most of my dive buddies are using Halcyon, OMS, or DiveRite gear. Regardless of the manufacturer, I recommend a 6lb steel backplate and one-piece webbing system.

Re:Opinions needed - FreediveWI - 05-19-2003

I have to agree with Matt and Scubert.
I started with a horse collar BC many years ago. These were awful and I switched very shortly after that to a back mounted BC. Back mounted BC's are the best way to dive a drysuit- which you will be doing if you continue to dive in Wisconsin. They also allow you to set your "trim" in the water with much more ease.

I used Zeagle BC's for many years and used to really love their stuff- so much so, that I even named my dog "Zeagle" ;D.

Eventually, my Zeagle BC's just started falling apart. I had weight systems fail and the whole thing is very flimsy compared to a Diverite or Halcyon. I dive more than most, but I was still becoming increasingly unsatisfied with standard BC's.

I then switched to a Diverite Transpac for a few years. It was nice, but too sloppy for doubles and didn't pack as small as I wanted for travel. It also had the problem of trapping air in all of the extra padding that was stiched into it.

I had been using a back plate and wing for doubles and eventually bought a Halcyon Pioneer 27# wing for single tank diving. This is the BEST single tank BC I have ever owned. It packs smaller than my wife's Zeagle Scout BC- which is very small to start with. It has better bouyancy characteristics than a standard BC because it allows the air bubble to migrate wherever it want's- make sure you get the 27# and not the 18# for that feature.

If you really plan on doing any more advanced type of diving you must have a backplate and wing. They are the least cluttered and when you start stacking up 80's under your arm and hooking in scooters and light packs you'll really learn to appreciate this fact Wink. Plus, I have found no smaller BC for warm water travel.

Stay away from the goofy, overpriced stuff like Deepoutdoors, OMS, and the Transpack. Go with a basic backplate and take the time to set the harness correctly. It only costs a few bucks for the webbing and you can customize the back plate to anyone. This might be bad news for divestores who make more money selling overpriced fluff, but it is good news for you because it is less expensive and much more durable. Taking the time to setup the harness will pay for itself in no time. There are many sites on the web that will describe how to do this, or go to a properly trained tech instructor to see it first hand.

Jon

Re:Opinions needed - TomG - 05-19-2003

Thanks for all the advice. Now, how about some discussion of the pros and cons of the different materials backplates are made of. I've seen some advertised with ABS plastic, Aluminum, and stainless steel. Also, why a one-piece harness, when I see some companies offer some with quick release buckles on the shoulders. I would think that would make it easier to get into and out of in a hurry???

Thanks.

Tom.

Re:Opinions needed - FreediveWI - 05-19-2003

Tom,

Buckles break and get jammed up with pebbles and sand. A one-piece harness won't have these problems.

IF it is sized right it is not very difficult to take on and off. Taking the time to size it correctly makes all the difference in the world. It also costs less than a harness with all of the goofy buckles and clips on them.

In a dire emergency you can simply cut the webbing on the harness if you need to. Since the webbing harness is so cheap you can easily afford to make a new one.

When it comes to back-plates that will depend upon the type od suit that you wear. For drysuits i will wear a stainless steel plate that weighs about 6 pounds. For wetsuit or no suit diving a would wear an aluminum or plastic plate. Aluminum may be a bit stronger and plastic wears easier on the webbing. Each one weighs less than than a pound.

I hope that helps.

Jon

Re:Opinions needed - Omicron - 05-20-2003

Tom,

I dive the ScubaPro RecTek BCD. It's the soft harness. I dove with someone a few weeks ago that had the DiveRite TransPac. There really wasn't a LOT of difference between the two. The ScubaPro has integrated weights, but the TransPac had dual bladders in it (a nice feature!!)

In retrospect, I wish I would have simply gone with an aluminum backplate and wings when I originally bought my equipment. Ah well...when you're just starting out and your only advice is on what recreational gear to buy, what can you do?

Re:Opinions needed - FreediveWI - 05-20-2003

The first generation Transpac was a direct copy of the original Scubapro rectec.

I would avoid double bladder BC's. They are just a bunch of extra cash that you don't need to spend IF you set your gear up correctly to begin with.

Jon

Re:Opinions needed - Omicron - 05-20-2003

How would you setup your gear to avoid the need for dual bladders? I've always heard it spouted that the double bladders are the way to go.

Interesting info on the transpac/rectek "relation".