wiscuba.com
Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re:Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - Rik - 12-15-2004

Ok, let me ask the ?s.
I've got an Apex ATX 50 and an Atomic M1, so as long as I don't go above 40% my regs should be fine? Yes -No ?
But when I get them serviced I should stipulate O2 clean?
For mix's at or under 40% do I need seperate O2 clean tanks? I've got Aluminum 80's.
Can I mix & match reg fills & 40% or less in these 80's or do I need to have seperate tanks/ should I for extra safety or is that over kill?
Again thanks for the input, this board ROCKS!
Rik O+<

Re:Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - Cavern Junkie - 12-15-2004

Rik O IMO your regs are fine for diving nitrox up to 40% and I see no reason to have them O2 cleaned. As far as tanks go, I personally use the same tank for both air and nitrox. I look at air as Nitrox 21%

I don't want to start a debate because I don't claim to know everything about diving or nitrox. I do feel that when using high percentages of 02, everything should be properly 02 cleaned. When using "lower" percentages (under 40%) I don't see a reason to have regs specially 02 cleaned because most manufacturers state that their regs are safe with these nitrox percentages. Tanks that are partial pressure filled should be 02 cleaned as well.

Re:Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - divbum - 12-16-2004

I tried to reply to specific queastion in red after the queastion, not sure if it work.

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - wethead51 - 03-07-2005

A little input from my experiences. Somebody mentioned nitrox on liveaboards. Be awared of something. I worked on Nekton Cruise lines out of Ft Lauderdale, while they do have nitrox on board, and many divers buy it on some weeks while on others they dont. We who worked the dive deck caught the brunt of the complaints. Complaint was that the highest nitrox we filled was between 26-28%, but they dont tell you that when you sign up. But other than that point, nitrox is the best thing since sliced bread for me ;D

Mark Smile

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - jasondbaker - 03-07-2005

Mark, why the low percentages? Was it due to the amount of O2 they could transport or was it to prevent the tourists from toxing?

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - Chris H - 03-07-2005

My guess is the latter.  People are dumb....

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - Omicron - 03-08-2005

There's that glowing optimism I've grown to love from ya Chris Smile

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - jasondbaker - 03-08-2005

Paul, what's the DSO story?  Where and how long?

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - wethead51 - 03-09-2005

Hey guys,
I'm glad to be in a conversation with ya'll! The reasoning of the low Nitrox is to the abilities of the equipment on board to pump it. Most of the fills were around high 25%'s to low 27%'s (25.7-27.2). The front office never discussed it with me, but I wouldnt doubt that it was set up that way to also protect the divers. Most of the divers I've encountered on these ships were decent divers. But I do have a few horror stories in my book of memories as well. Some might say that we cant protect divers from themselves, but we like to try. Also, when on a liveaboard, one tries to take extra care since IF there is an accident of sorts, it really messes up all the other passangers paid vacation to arrange an airlift to a chamber fromoffshore Cay Sal.
Main reason I brought up Nitrox onboard was to just let you know what you get for the peso before you pay. Everybody comes onboard thinking that for their money they bwill be able to order percentages just as in your LDS.
Take care.

Re: Nitrox Advantages? Input Needed! - wethead51 - 03-09-2005

And hey Chris! *waves from afar* Good to meet another H2O junkie,,, Tell me, do you ever see a glass that's half full? :-\