wiscuba.com
STAs and What size wing for BP? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: STAs and What size wing for BP? (/showthread.php?tid=482)

Pages: 1 2 3

STAs and What size wing for BP? - fishchaser - 11-02-2004

Two questions, splitting this off of the BC thread:

What size wing would be recommended for a single tank? The Dive Rite Venture is 30lbs, but no possible doubles. The Trek is 40, and double capable. And the Rec is 51#. I'm not sure I will ever dive doubles, and not sure if the 30 pony counts as a small double or not. Doesn't seem like any ($20) price difference between the 3. Is there an obvious size (profile) difference to the three?

I read on :
Quote:If you occassionally switch between doubles and singles, you can configure your backplate to attach to a single tank by adding two tank straps threaded through the tank strap slots of the aluminum and stainless steel backplates.
Does everyone agree with this? No Single Tank Adapter necessary? It looks like the tank would be less stable, or not?

Chad

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - matt t. - 11-02-2004

IMO you want a wing in the range of 36#-45# for cold water diving. I would (and do) go with the STA to save weight on your belt. You may also want to go with steel tanks (assuming you go with a drysuit) as they will also save you weight on a belt. If you think you are going to go with doubles, wait until you do, and buy the correct lift wing to do the job. I guess it's posible to find a "do it all" wing, but it's not the "BEST" solution.

Matt

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - Chris H - 11-02-2004

Chad,
The STA makes it easier to switch between singles and doubles. Like Matt said, you can get a weighted one to cut down on the weight you need on a belt. The newer backplates that have the slots in them are OK, but threading the straps through the plate can be a pain. I do think the STA holds the tank better, but it will put the tank farther from your COG and possibly make you feel unstable or less stable, meaning more likely to roll over onto your back. All of my recent diving has been in doubles do I don't have too much first had experience with this. Matt, on the other had, dove a single tank when we were out on Saturday, so his opiion should hold some water. His last statement about the "best" solution is right on the money as well.

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - divbum - 11-02-2004

Hi Chad,
I prefer a low profile STA for many reasons alrady listed. For the best results you will want a 30lbs or smaller wing. Several of the guys i dive with use 18 or 27lbs wings for large steel cylinders and a single 40 stage, plus an argon bottle. You have a drysuit, which I don't use for bouyancy - but it does offset lift. From the wings you have listed the Venture is the better design for single tanks.
Lastly, fillexpress has a nice web site, and from friends that live down there it is a good shop, but unless you move they won't fill your tanks over the internet, support your local shop, winter is tough for everyone.

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - jasondbaker - 11-02-2004

Some of the halcyon single tank wings have a STA built into them. I think it works very well.

I think the diverite venture is okay. You might want to look at oxycheck stuff. I hear good things. Do not buy a single tank wing over 40 lbs.

You don't need the pony (whole separate debate). Find a good dive buddy and stay within recreational limits.

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - fishchaser - 11-02-2004

The LDS requires it in their wreck diving class, which I plan on taking.

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - Omicron - 11-02-2004

I'll weigh in on this one again Smile

I'd recommend an STA of some sort - like I said earlier in the other thread, you could certainly just use the PVC pipe method - just cut a chunk of pvc pipe and bolt it to your plate. Then you thread your tank straps through your plate. The downside to this is if you ever do start switching in between doubles and singles (like I do a lot...) it's a huge pain because you always have to unthread and re-thread your straps. W/ an STA, the straps thread through it...so when you switch from singles w/ an sta, you just unbolt the sta and then bolt into your doubles and you are done. When you use a homebrew sta, you lose that. Some people don't mind - I did and got an STA Smile

Also, some backplates (actually...I think a lot of them nowdays) don't require an STA. you can just thread your straps through the plate and attach it to your tank. I tried this when I first got my backplate and didn't really like it. Instead of having the bolts holding the whole assembly together (bolts through the doubles or sta...) you had to ziptie your wing onto your plate. Laaaammmee.... Either that, or hope the tension from the straps kept the wing and sandwiched in between the plate and the tank. I didn't trust it. Onn top of that, the tank was constantly shifting on me - the walk to the water, when swimming...I came up from a dive with my tank at a heck of an angle.

so that's my experience with it - I like the STA.

I use a Dive Rite rec wing. I dive double 104's with it. Most pony bottles add very little weight. When I dive w/ my deco tank, it's barely negative when full. After I've used it, it's slightly positive. So it actually lightens me up a little bit and doesn't drag me down.

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - fishchaser - 12-09-2004

Quote:For the best results you will want a 30lbs or smaller wing. Several of the guys i dive with use 18 or 27lbs wings
Quote:IMO you want a wing in the range of 36#-45# for cold water diving.
Quote:Do not buy a single tank wing over 40 lbs

Okay, I'm getting ready to buy a BCD and am pretty certain that I'm going the BP/wing route. But I'm confused as to what size would be needed. While the other posts (quoted above) were helpful, they were somewhat conflicting.

Background: I'm 240#, just bought a Bare Trilam ATR drysuit (yeah!) and will be using that around here, but hope to use BP/wing on ocassional tropical trips with a 3mm full wetsuit. I'm planning on getting the Hammerhead SS BP which is 12# with their STA. I used about 35# of lead for 7mm wetsuit here, and 12# for a shorty in the tropics. I do not plan on diving doubles, and would accept buying a new wing if I change my mind in the future.

So, what lift would be required or desired? Just how does one determine this?

From the Halcyon website:
Quote:The 36 lbs. wing is designed for use in cold water where heavy exposure protection with steel cylinders is the norm
(they are comparing their 36lb Pioneer to their 27lb Pioneer. Why is more bouyancy needed for cold water use? More lead to offset thicker, more bouyant wetsuit? But if you are neutrally bouyant (suit offseting lead, or vice versa), why would you need more lift from a wing?

And, does anyone prefer one brand over another, and for what reason? Dive-rite? Oxycheq? Halcyon? Or, does any of those manufacturers make a wing that's best suited for my application?

Thanks again!

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - Omicron - 12-09-2004

I'm close to your size and use the same drysuit (it's a great suit). I have a Diverite SS plate w/ STA...not sure on the total weight of that...I think about 9lbs.

I use a DiveRite RecWing. It's one of those wings that's intended for doubles or singles. Some don't like them, but I do. I forget the exact poundage of lift it has...I wanna say 50. The reason I like it is that it's not too big when diving a single (it is a little overkill....) and it's just perfect when I use my double 104's with a deco bottle.

I think that if you were only diving singles you would want a smaller wing, with somewhere around 30lbs of lift.

Can anyone else chime in on how to figure out what you need for lift???

Re:STAs and What size wing for BP? - Chris H - 12-09-2004

Buy one of the wings intended for use with a single tank.

Halcyon makes very nice gear. I think Oxycheq makes a single wing too. Deep Blue (Gert) or divbum (Greg) would be more than happy to get you in some shiny new Halcyon gear. Either Gert or Greg would be very good people to get information from before purchasing from them.
They have been diving in places I can only dream about.