wiscuba.com
Devils Lake Report - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Devils Lake Report (/showthread.php?tid=444)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Devils Lake Report - mrclean - 09-27-2004

Since I have done 40+ dives in Wazee this year and a weekend side trip to Lake Michigan for shipwreck diving, my dive buddy Ed and myself and the wives jumped in the car and drove to Devils Lake State Park to try Devils Lake for the first time. I know I lead a sheltered life, but we wanted to try something exotic. After getting recommendations from the nice folks at 3 Little Devils, we chose to dive the south side rocky shoreline as they stated the north side had a bunch of classes going on and would be pretty stirred up. After a fairly long surface swim from where we set up past four cabins, we went down to about 25 feet and began diving. Once we got into the rocks, we saw lots of Rock bass and a whole bunch of really good size bluegills. Well, many times we just saw shadows because of the green murkiness. Visibility was 5-10 feet and thank goodness for yellow fins and yellow tanks. Dive buddy Ed found a complete Shimano fishing rod and reel, then a hookless rapala and then played with the rock bass the rest of the dive. I didn't find anything too exciting, except for a Heilemans Special Export beer can probably from the late 70's.

Several firsts for me Sunday; 1st dive in Devils Lake and longest dive to date: 71 minutes of bottom time. I'd like to go there again, but maybe wait until Oct or Nov to see if it clears out any...anybody know if it does? I know they put some big pipe to draw water down in the fall to drain phosphates or something out of the water, but it sounds like that might take several years to clear things up.

All in all a good day of diving. Smile

Andy

Re:Devils Lake Report - jasondbaker - 09-27-2004

Nice report Andy. I have not made it down to Devils Lake yet.

Re:Devils Lake Report - MikeS - 11-15-2004

Dove Devil's lake yesterday (11-14). Visibility hasn't improved since the summer: 5-10 ft. Temp was 47° F.

What about other peoples' weekend dives? Oh, and the water level is down about 2 feet. Don't know if it's because of the pipe or not.

Re:Devils Lake Report - Omicron - 11-15-2004

No diving for me...been bowhunting too much the past couple of weeks. Dying to get back in the water though....I can't go more than a few weeks w/out a dive.

Re: Devils Lake Report - MikeS - 04-07-2005

FYI

I just called Devil's Lake State Park and was told that the ice there is gone.  Hopefully the lake has good viz this early.

Re: Devils Lake Report - JacobsonC2 - 04-07-2005

i went there about this time last year, just after the ice was off and the viz was about 5ft. if you go please post viz and temps!

Re: Devils Lake Report - moneysavr - 04-10-2005

The vis I think is not good /Great year round did a fall dive and just thought the lake had flopped,but 5'-15'looks like the best it gets with the problems the lake has. 

Re: Devils Lake Report - MikeS - 04-10-2005

Well, my buddy Bob and I dove Devil's Lake today.  I'd put the viz at about 8 feet.  One temp guage read 40, the computer said 44. 

Re:Devils Lake Report - dfreeman - 04-10-2005

Jason,

Looking to go to the Lake Wazee next weekend.  Let me know if you are up for a run.  Finally got the pee valve installed and need a test run.  The pool is open.

Doug

Re: Devils Lake Report - Omicron - 04-11-2005

Sounds great Doug.  I'm supposed to go kayaking on Saturday...you up for Sunday?