wiscuba.com
Starting up FD Dive Team - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Starting up FD Dive Team (/showthread.php?tid=2595)

Starting up FD Dive Team - trunkmonkey_48 - 04-12-2013

We dissbanded our dive team over 10 years ago on our FD. I came onto the Fd 4 years ago and went and got all the certifications for diving and that 2 years ago. I am going to be taking the ERDI class this year. We have only 2 others that are diver certified.

We want to get a dive team going again as we have many different lakes in our community. But we have a very tight budget and no equipment that we once had except for ropes and boat.

Does any know what, where, who and how to write a grant too? We have about 4 new people that want to get invovled as new divers. I just dont know where to even start. Hopefully someone on here can give me a little guidance.

Jeff

RE: Starting up FD Dive Team - Vtach - 04-24-2013

Be sure to talk with some fire departments that are your size with already established or newly established dive teams. I know that the Campbellsport Fire Department just recently started a dive team so they can probably give you some useful advice.

As far as grants go, look into a federal grant through the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG). You will definitely need to do some research though. In general the AFG program can be somewhat limited in what topics they award grants for. Some examples are stations, staffing, apparatus, ALS equipment. Your best bet would be to visit the FEMA website and search for AFG. Taking a grant writing course would be a good idea.

Hope that helps

Todd

Be sure to talk with some fire departments that are your size with already established or newly established dive teams. I know that the Campbellsport Fire Department just recently started a dive team so they can probably give you some useful advice.

As far as grants go, look into a federal grant through the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG). You will definitely need to do some research though. In general the AFG program can be somewhat limited in what topics they award grants for. Some examples are stations, staffing, apparatus, ALS equipment. Your best bet would be to visit the FEMA website and search for AFG. Taking a grant writing course would be a good idea.

Hope that helps

Todd