wiscuba.com
Lights - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Lights (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Pages: 1 2

Lights - ttph - 07-09-2011

I've been talking with a couple people around here about can lights. The current problem I'm having is HID vs. LED. I've spent a fair amount of time reading arguements both ways on the other boards, and it seems like people are split. I'm curious if any of you have applicable experience with both. Specifically, I've been looking at the Titan 25W X-Series LED and the Light Monkey Havoc 21W HID. I know that a lot of you guys live and die by HID, which may ultimately be the way to go. However, if the emerging technology is LED, then I figure it's at least worth the consideration as current users seem to speak quite highly about certain models (again, namely Titan).

I'm also currently considering a Sartek 10W HID, but I'm not sure that I'll be 100% happy with the light output when compared to 21W HID's that seem to be everywhere. Last thing I want to do is spend cash just to wind up with a case of light envy or regrets.

Matt

Re: Lights - Chris H - 07-10-2011

See if Ron Benson has a Titan light you could try before you buy.  I looked at them at Ghost Ships and they looked nice.  There are plenty of HID lights around to compare them to.  I've never had a problem in 5+ years with my Halcyon 18W HID light, but I'd likely consider LED for a next time around.  LED is definitely the future, I'm just not sure how much of the technology will end up in dive lights.

Re: Lights - ttph - 07-10-2011

And where may I find a fella named Ron Benson?

Re: Lights - Chris H - 07-10-2011

Ron is deep thought on this board and several others.  He has a Titan rebreather class coming up, and I know he had some of their LED lights too.  He may chime in on this thread.

Re: Lights - jeffberry - 07-10-2011

He was at the Harbor with me today!

Re: Lights - Captain Brian - 08-04-2011

I just bought a Light Monkey 21w LED.  Used it to dive the Carl Bradley.
I'm very impressed with it.  5 hour burn time and plenty of light.

Re: Lights - jeffberry - 08-05-2011

I think he already lost his money on a Titan!

Re: Lights - ttph - 08-05-2011

No, I haven't lost any money yet. I demo'ed the Titan 25W X-Series on Tuesday. I really liked the light, and think I'll probably buy one. The hard part is picking a light without seeing it underwater. I would like to see the Light Monkey 21W LED at some point, I just don't know when I would have time.

Matt

Re: Lights - matt t. - 08-05-2011

Brian gets up to Wazee fairly often. I'm sure if you ask nice, he'll let you take a look at his light.The other option is to head down to Florida and ask to borrow one for a demo.

Re: Lights - matt t. - 08-07-2011

We got a chance to dive with Ron Benson this weekend on a couple wrecks here in Milwaukee. Elaine from Titan was on the boat, and I was able to try the Titan X series 10/25 LED watt canister light . I had no prior experience with LED lights, and had always heard that they didn't produce a decent beam compared to an HID. While these lights aren't focusable, the beam was decent and I can't see any problem signaling or using the light in most if not all conditions. Unfortunately I wasn't able to compare the light output to an HID on the dive, but I was impressed with the output. I used the light mostly on the 25 watt setting, though I did switch it down to the 10 watt setting from time to time to check it out. It seems to be a nice light at a reasonable price point. I may be interested in the Scula down the road . I think it would be a good light to use when racing the scooters around.