wiscuba.com
I wonder how this happened. - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: I wonder how this happened. (/showthread.php?tid=2302)

Pages: 1 2

I wonder how this happened. - MikeS - 07-05-2010

Re: I wonder how this happened. - WaterWolf - 07-05-2010

This post was in the comments section from an article on JSOnline:

Lost Disk - Jul 05, 2010 12:41 PM

First all, I would like to say Thanks to ALL of the rescue personnel, as one of the divers was my brother.

Second, both divers are doing good, shaken up, but still good.

They spent almost 10hrs in the water, the dive started at 2PM, and they were on there way in, had removed their fins, when the waves started to pick up. Next thing they know, they were being pushed away from the boat, and before they knew it, they couldn't see the boat or each other anymore.

They did see the rescue boats, but while the boats were going south, they were being dragged north.

As for the reason for the dive, they just wanted to see the wreck. They pair started diving a few years ago, and had been diving in smaller lakes and planned this dive a bit in advance. They were suppose to have a third person go with, and when they didn't call in when they were expected, he waited a bit and then called in the missing divers himself.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who helped these two. I would like to extend a special thank you to the family who helped my brother when he knocked on their door.

Thanks Everyone!
Jenn

Re: I wonder how this happened. - matt t. - 07-05-2010

So, aside from all of the comments from clueless bleeding heart non-divers on the Journal/Sentinel site, it would appear that the 2 divers decided (despite NOT having the planned 3rd person along) to dive anyway and left the boat UNATTENDED.

Re: I wonder how this happened. - Dewit2it - 07-05-2010

If the boat was still anchored on the wreck site, sounds like a good current kicked up and carried them away. 

I've had it happen on the Herman Hettler.  It was a helluva swim back to the boat.  At least it was sucking us back toward Munising. Smile

And it's better than finding your dive boat on the bottom! Wink

Re: I wonder how this happened. - Rider1017 - 07-06-2010

Very glad that the divers are ok.

Re: I wonder how this happened. - Vtach - 07-06-2010

I am also glad they are ok.  I hope it sinks in just how lucky they are and how quickly things can go sour both above and below the waterline.

So the big question to everyone is... If you would have known their plan and thought it could get them into trouble, would you have told them they were in over their heads?  Would they have listened?  Is it up to the dive community to start monitoring themselves a bit before costly events like this get the attention of a politician or emotionally distraught family member? 

If it becomes a big enough problem someone will try and solve it....we may not like the solution... 

Re: I wonder how this happened. - codecruncher - 07-07-2010

Clearly the answer is a PADI "Two-Pack" Boat Dive Operator course  ;D

Re: I wonder how this happened. - jasondbaker - 07-08-2010

LOL.. haha... Okay, let's say someone is bound and determined to dive this sort of site from an unattended boat.  What additional safety precautions should they take?  My thoughts:

-- call someone on shore before you get in the water, give them your coordinates, and let them know you will call back at a predetermined time.  If they don't hear from you then call the coast guard.

-- carry an EPIRB device in an underwater housing

-- attach a line to the boat or anchor line and hold on to the line during the dive.  Not sure if this would work in a modest current.

Other ideas?

Re: I wonder how this happened. - MikeS - 07-08-2010

If you must take your fins off to climb on the boat, don't throw them in the boat.  Loop them around your arm so if you lose contact with the ladder, you can get them back on and either swim on the surface or go down under and swim to the line.

Re: I wonder how this happened. - matt t. - 07-08-2010

Other ideas?

Yeah, don't do it. Like every questionable situation in diving. It's all o.k. IF you get away with it. Eventually a time comes when you won't.