wiscuba.com
first time to 150 - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: first time to 150 (/showthread.php?tid=2153)

Pages: 1 2

first time to 150 - jmohns - 10-06-2009

Hello gang, I am going to try to let you know calmly and very quietly that i finally made it to 150ft. WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SOO LONG!!! Sorry........ ok enough of the funny stuff. I was able to do my first deco and my first 150 ft dive, and it was awesome!! It was soo quiet, soo surreal, soo neat to finally see the stuff I have been seeing in the photos for many years of diving now. weather was ok, temp was as to be expected, vis was awesome! I have spent the better part of a year and a half collecting the necessary gear to do this type of diving, I have had a really great mentor at my LDS who would correct me if I set something up that was incorrect, or simply unsafe. I have spent most of this season doing check dives with the doubles and the ponys to be sure I have the boyency down perfect, I have learning and studying my a** off to understand the effects and drains this will have on the body. And the first dive was great!!!! Proper planning and flooing the plan resulted in me being here to tell you the story now. ok I will stop babbling over this, thanks to those of you out here who have helped me get to this point on the board here with good advise, and at times good arguments.
James

Re: first time to 150 - Chris H - 10-06-2009

If that was a goal, nice job.  I hope there was a bunch of helium in your tanks.  150 is too deep without it.

Re: first time to 150 - jmohns - 10-06-2009

you can on a 28% mix, but that is the absolute bottom of that mix

Re: first time to 150 - deep thought - 10-06-2009

Congrats on the accomplishment!  Once you get a taste of what rests below, its all down hill, or is that down under... >Big Grin

Deep Thought

Re: first time to 150 - deep_al - 10-06-2009

How would you do an adv. nitrox deco procedures course on trimix?  Im pretty sure that an adv. nitrox / deco is normally is a prerequisite for trimix, and normally certifies the diver to 150, or maximum training depth. This is coming from a TDI background, I would think most agencies standards are fairly similar, but maybe not. 

Im not saying that I would choose to do a dive that deep again without helium after Ive gone to trimix, but I think a lot of people would consider that an acceptable depth for air (or 28%). 

James,
Congrats on the milestone, the 150 mark really puts you on the door step to a whole new world of wrecks to dive. 

-Al

Re: first time to 150 - jeffberry - 10-07-2009

Best mix for that kind of dive would be 26% while maintaining a 1.4 ppo2!  28% would take you to the edge.  I like that warm cuddly feeling on air at that depth!  anything over would be trimix.
Congrats on your goal.
Who were you traing with? 

Re: first time to 150 - Chris H - 10-07-2009

Im not saying that I would choose to do a dive that deep again without helium after Ive gone to trimix, but I think a lot of people would consider that an acceptable depth for air (or 28%). 
[/quote]

I think you answered your own question regarding my comment.  I don't like being narced.    I know that Deco Procedures/Adv Nitrox  requires a 150ft ish dive.  When I tag along on those dives I have helium and I presume many of the instructors would too. 

James, I didn't intend to knock your accomplishment.  If you continue your training, I think you will find adding helium makes these dives exponentially better than they ever were without it.

Re: first time to 150 - jmohns - 10-07-2009

I agree, and I really look foward to the trimix stuff, however I am stuck within my level of training and experiance at this point. As time follows, I look foward to seeing all of the sights while not being narced......lol. But baby steps first.....

Re: first time to 150 - Vtach - 10-07-2009

Congrats James!!  It is good to see you using caution in your decisions and progress.  Sounds like you are on the right track to do this type of diving safely.  Glad to hear your venture beyond rec depths was an enjoyable one.

Re: first time to 150 - matt t. - 10-07-2009

How would you do an adv. nitrox deco procedures course on trimix?  Im pretty sure that an adv. nitrox / deco is normally is a prerequisite for trimix, and normally certifies the diver to 150, or maximum training depth. This is coming from a TDI background, I would think most agencies standards are fairly similar, but maybe not. 

James,
Congrats on the milestone, the 150 mark really puts you on the door step to a whole new world of wrecks to dive. 

-Al
[/quote]
The OP never mentioned anything about a class. With the availability of a tri-mix capable computer available to the masses, it's certainly conceivable that people are doing these dives with no training, and following their computers. OP, my comments are in no way directed at you or your practices! Congrats on the dive!