wiscuba.com
North Bay/Marshal Point - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: North Bay/Marshal Point (/showthread.php?tid=1975)

Pages: 1 2

North Bay/Marshal Point - Dewit2it - 01-23-2009

Found what looks to be a wreck on the bend of the reef off North Bay/Marshal Point.  Looks kinda like it might be generally intact.  There's also another two on the charts inside the bay.

The reef.

A closeup.

Area of charted wrecks.

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - oldtimer - 01-23-2009

I think you need to invest in a boat, sonar and a GPS.  I've used Goggle earth in the past to run down stuff like this.  All of it so far is weed and rock formations.  From what I've seen so far, odds are good that is what your looking at.  Good luck though, you may just score if you get out and follow all your leads.  If your serious, get ready to spend hours and hours and hours............ on the lake.  Nothing short of that will suffice.  You might back up what you see with some research to determine if there is anything missing in the area.  Guys like Trotter don't find stuff by just getting out there.  They do a ton of research first.  The Milwaukee public library would be a good start.  I'm just sayin'..........

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - dfreeman - 01-23-2009

Getting out there sounds like good fun to me.  Let's go diving.

Doug

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Dewit2it - 01-23-2009

Just giving us some ideas for places to check out this summer.  The one inside the bay by the dock is on NOAA navigation charts.  There is a second in the sand somewhere that's on the chart, but doesn't show up in the pics.  But anything that's roughly hull sized and shaped is worth a look.

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Tamara Thomsen - 01-25-2009

Of the wrecks in North Bay, the one that you have pinpointed off the pier, inside the point is the Boaz.  The one out in the middle of the bay is the Cherubusco.

If you are looking for a database of ship losses in the area feel free to check out Wisconsin Historical Society's database at:   You can search by county, type of vessel, etc. 

Also here is a complete database of marine listing in the Door County Advocate and Manitowoc Pilot that Russ Leitz put togeher for us a few years back.  That may help in tracking down what is still missing in the general area: 

Happy searching!

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Dewit2it - 01-25-2009

The one on the outer reef may be the J.A. Travis.  She was on her way from Elison Bay to Milwaukee.  She was going to shelter in North Bay, but missed stays and went aground.  She was around 100 ft in length, which the object appears to be.

The Sunshine also went aground on the north point of North Bay.

Here's the other charted wreck.

There's also a couple of parallel lines that also show up in the satellight view that should get checked out.

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Dewit2it - 01-25-2009

There's a couple of interesting geologic formations as well to check out.  Caves or springs?  I know there are springs at Newport, and even along the shoreline at Garret Bay, so a cave is a possibility.

I'll try checking these out.  I don't have cave cert, but if they are, I'll get video of the mouths for you cavers.

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Captain caveman - 01-27-2009

how do you pin point on a map. I found on in Mwke

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Dewit2it - 01-27-2009

With the MSN Live Search go to "share" and hit copy, then paste the link where you want it.

The aerial view of the Appomattox and Josephine in Milwaukee.  The birdseye view of it is crap.  No viz that day.  The Josephine is buried by the small pier to the north.  Lots of stuff scattered around from the salvage.

There's one inside the breakwater too.

Re: North Bay/Marshal Point - Tamara Thomsen - 01-27-2009

The "shipwreck" that you are calling the Josephine is actually the starboard side of the Appomattox.  It was misidentified in an old book and for some reason continues to be perpetuated.  Surveying the wreckage piece and adding it onto the overall site plan was the focus of a Great Lakes Shipwreck Research Foundation and Wisconsin Historical Society joint project two years ago.