wiscuba.com
New to Doubles - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: New to Doubles (/showthread.php?tid=1947)

Pages: 1 2 3

New to Doubles - jmohns - 12-18-2008

Hello all, I am in the process of setting up my first set of doubles and would like any input that you might have. I might take the intro to deco this winter, but I have no ideas of doing that type of diving until I am used to the new bulk. I purchased a pair of 98 steel tanks already doubled from my LDS. I have purchased a pair or cold water regs to go with it. I am a little unsure of the other needed things to go with it. I am putting a SPG on one of the regs, I couldn't see putting two on there, If I am isolating the tanks, the dive is over anyway. Is this the right train of thought? The only other things I could find that I might need are the inflater hoses. I carry an attached compass to my BC and also a depth gauge on my wrist that is not a computer. Any and all input it welcome here, Even criticism if needed. I don't want to screw this up as I might only get one chance to get it right. lol.
As always thank you. James

Re: New to Doubles - Chris H - 12-18-2008

You are on the right track.
I assume you have a backplate and an appropriate wing to go with your new doubles?  If not, stop right there and get a Backplate and a wing specifically made for doubles.  I have a Halcyon Evolve.  A 60lb for bigger tanks, and an 40lb for smaller doubles.  I wear the 60 with 130's and 95's and the 40 with 80's and 50's.  Dive Rite also makes good wings.  I do prefer the donut shaped wing to the horse shoe shape, but YMMV.  I have SS plates from Halcyon and Dive Rite.  Either are fine, and there are many brands out there that will work.  SPG on a 24" hose and Backup regulator on the left side and a long hose (7ft) and inflater hose on the right side.  I use a separate inflation system for my drysuit which isn't necessary unless you have some helium in your doubles.  I assume if you are considering deco diving around here you also have a drysuit.  Put the drysuit inflater hose on the left post until you get an alternate inflation system.  On inflater on either side will give you back up inflation if you have a reg failure.
  has some good information.  If DIR isn't your thing, do a search for Hogarthian, and you'll see similar configurations.    Keep it simple and clutter free, you'll thank yourself for it later on.  Make sure your harness fits properly.  Those tanks are pretty heavy and will flop around and make things no fun.  Take it slow, have fun, and don't get hurt.

Re: New to Doubles - jmohns - 12-18-2008

Thanks for the info, I do have an OMS backplate and wing. I think the wing has 95# lift, but I am not sure. I have been diving the plate and wing with a single steel 130 for the last year in prep for this move.

Re: New to Doubles - matt t. - 12-19-2008

Get rid of the wing. The ONLY need or a wing that big is if you need to use it as a lift bag for salvage operations. Whoever talked you into that wing should be shot. As Chris mentioned, a wing in the 50-60# range is what you should be looking for. NO wing will do a good job for you with singles AND doubles. By the time you are done you may have 3-4 wings. Now on the lighter side  ;D... You should decide where you want out of your diving in the next few years and buy gear accordingly. I'm not aware of an "intro to deco" class. These days some of the instructors are "teaching" intro to tech classes. I'm not sure if this is an actual class or a seminar format. I know Greg Such is doing something with that. You may also want to P.M. the few other tech instructors on the board to see if they are teaching an intro to tech curriculum.

Re: New to Doubles - jeffberry - 12-19-2008

Matt,
He probably got the wing as a package!  Surprisingly there is a tech instructor up North here that use's the bondage wing for singles an for doubles.  I guess with the bands on it shrinks it to a small package.  I have a buddie that dives the big wing banded with double 119 an has no ill effects.  I myself have the Oxychec 55 that I love with double HP 100s for singles I have a OMS 45 witch is more than enough.  I have used the 45 with my doubles an it is a bit light when I start adding bottles an more gear.  I should add I dive dry an have a SS backplate.  with the doubles I am a bit heavy an the single hp 100 I need about 10 pounds.
Jeff

Re: New to Doubles - matt t. - 12-19-2008

With OMS as well as any other manufacturer you can pick and choose wings and plates. He just bought the wrong thing. People (mostly east coast heroes) may dive the monster bungee wings with double 149 Heisers or double 45's or a single 72. It will work (poorly), but it isn't optimal. It's kind of like driving a semi with a 50 ft trailer to church. I'm not looking to hurt anyones feelings, he wanted opinions and to some mine is worth what he payed for it .00 Diving isn't a cheap sport and divers need to do a fair amount of research before throwing a ton on $$$ at the wrong gear. These days with the internet research is a lot easier. I use a 40 lb Eclipse wing with a single 130 and 2 other bottles (alu 80 and 40). It's probably  a little big for the single 130, but it's nice to have on the surface with the 2 other bottles. Like Chris I have a 40# Evolve for 45's and 72's, and a 60# Evolve for 130's. Put the compass on your wrist like your bottom timer and any extra stuff goes in your pockets (computers, slates, tables, shears, etc).

Re: New to Doubles - jeffberry - 12-19-2008

I see your point! 
Jeff

Re: New to Doubles - jmohns - 12-19-2008

Me too....LOL

Re: New to Doubles - Dewit2it - 12-19-2008

That large wing would be good for UW modeling! 

A safety diver should have at least 50# of lift in the BC if not more.  The safety diver needs that, as they are the buoyancy, and/or the air supply for the model. 

Re: New to Doubles - sum-yung guy - 12-19-2008

HEY!!!! Stop hatin' on the OMS 95# wing.....I have had one since I started diving doubles when I was 15 and I have done just fine....I also have the Halcyon 45 and 60 wing for smaller tanks.....I have found that my large wings are great as long as you have the black bands on them, they stay close to your tanks and don't float freely....And I don't want to hear from any DIR guys about that......Nothing against the Halcyon wings, they are great and do the job just fine. Note that you should get a quick release harness (if you don't have one already), makes all the difference in the world for getting out of your rig.