wiscuba.com
Advanced open water skills - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Advanced open water skills (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Pages: 1 2

Advanced open water skills - mfddan - 09-29-2008

I was wondering what skills do we have to do in the advanced open water course?

Do we have to do the regulator sweep, mask removal and clear etc. that we did in the open water class?

Re: Advanced open water skills - sk8erdude130 - 09-29-2008

no its really easy all you do is review knowledge reviews talk about what dive you are doing and then go dive

Re: Advanced open water skills - Vtach - 09-29-2008

If it is PADI AOW, I seem to recall that you do a navigation, deep and night dive.  I think you also have a couple of elective dives but the focus seems to be on the experience and not the skills repetition.  It may vary based on what instructor you have.

Re: Advanced open water skills - moneysavr - 09-29-2008

As said
its about skills,PADI I think you will do a navigation course,Deep dive,and you can do like Nitrox or other its about diving and your deep dive will have you do some sort of skill to rate your skills or lack of due to the affects of narcosis.
Man have fun and good luck.

Re: Advanced open water skills - Bubblemaker - 09-29-2008

If your using a different Instructor or Different Agency you will more than likely do a skill review which will include a 20 - 25 question  Quiz and In Water skill review which is usually done on your Nav course.  Its more of a gauge to let your Instructor know how much you retained from your open water course.  Some people take AOW right away and some later in life. 

Keith

Re: Advanced open water skills - dwitt2n - 09-30-2008

....all of the above...but....you may want to just sit down with your LSD instructor & talk about what's on your mind.....best way to clear the unknown.....enjoy & be safe......

Re: Advanced open water skills - cam - 09-30-2008

Actually, I just finished AOW last weekend at Lake Wazee.  We did a deep dive and a search and recovery dive.  The weekend before we did navigation, peak performance bouyancy and a night dive at Pearl Lake.

I had a blast doing all of them, personally.  The deep dive got quite cold but what can you expect?

The night dive and search and recovery were my favorites out of the five.

Overall, I feel much more confident in my skills and it increased my respect for safety and proficiency.

Re: Advanced open water skills - sum-yung guy - 10-01-2008

All of the above, but just note....

AOW requires (PADI), that you do a deep dive and an UW Navigation dive. You may pick the next three dives as electives. Most dive stores will "pick them for you," meaning that they will pick the next three based on what they think is most beneficial to you as a diver. The certification is good to 100 feet and is a great one to have for any diving in the great lakes or even on your next tropical trip.

There are no "skills" such as mask remove and replace or regulator recovery. But there are individual skills to the dives, such as, being able to tie 3 different knots for search and recovery, and pattern navigation for UW navigation, etc.... Nothing like Open Water....

A sample weekend (2 days) usually is going to be Deep, UW Navigation, Search and Recovery, Peak Performance Buoyancy, and Wreck or Night (depending dive location).

Also, remember that these dives give you a taste of the individual specialty, SO if you want to take that specialty such as Deep, instead of doing 4 dives, you would only have to do 3 dives (log book proof required). It is a great incentive program if you are in a time crunch.

Hope this clears up some stuff......Good Luck and Safe Diving!

Re: Advanced open water skills - mfddan - 10-02-2008

Thank you for your replies. I went to a local dive club meeting the other night to see what it was like. I had to laugh a little. Here everyone talks about their skills, AOW, Nitrox, Rescue Diver, Master Diver etc. The president of this dive club has been diving for years, been on all the wrecks, down 130fts and yet he only has Padi open water basic.  LOL  Thanks again people!

Re: Advanced open water skills - matt t. - 10-02-2008

Napoleon had skills too >Big Grin.