wiscuba.com
Rent vs. Buy? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Rent vs. Buy? (/showthread.php?tid=1881)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - dfreeman - 09-02-2008

Talk with divers that you meet and especaily some ofthe guys on this web site as they have made all of the mistakes.  Owning your own gear is freedom.  Bring the wife along for the dive, gets her out of the house and into the great outdoors.  A lot of the places we dive are nice.

Todd and Chris and Matt will give you good advice.

Also, underwater photography can get expensive, but you get to see some great things like the attached.

Doug

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - dwitt2n - 09-02-2008

...Doug...where was the sub photo taken..?...

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - dfreeman - 09-02-2008

This is the submarine in Cozumel.  They cruise the Chankanaab Bolones and sometimes encounter the divers.  At one point it was coming right at me through the gloom.  What the camera does not catch is the people inside waving and taking pictures.  Seeing divers gives them a thrill.

Thisis near the minesweeper wreck.  Here is a picture that I like of the interior.

Doug

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - dwitt2n - 09-03-2008

...our dive group ran across one in Cozumel too last March...I missed seeing it  Sad...  oh well.....

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - Dewit2it - 09-03-2008

With new gear, you get warranties!  You won't get them from garage sales or Ebay.

Warranties can save you a lot in annual service fees!

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - kieren - 09-22-2008

I am a strong believer in ALL NEW GEAR.  warrenties are the bomb, especially when talking about computers. 

like many before me stated, life support first.  but after that a computer will elevate your diving experiences by leaps and bounds.  more bottom time, less hassle, more fun.

If money is a factor, check with your LDS about financing options.  Many have 0% deals set up, and it's a great way to get a package deal when purchasing BCD, Reg, and Comp set up (scubapro is giving away a free comp when you buy any BCD, reg, and an air2 alternate until the end of the year).

most importantly, STAY AWAY FROM ONLINE VENDORS (leisurepro.com, divers-supply, etc.)  they offer fantastic deals, but most manufacturers do not honor their warrenties when purchased from these companies.  I've seen it happen plenty of times, comp takes a crap and you just threw away $600-1000.

check with your local dive shops, and ask for advice.  find a shop with a good selection of manufacturers so you can make a more educated decision about what you really like.

Finally, ALWAYS make sure whatever you buy can be serviced by your local shop. 

it's a proven fact, divers who own their own gear dive more.

Smile

hope this helped a bit.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - MikeS - 09-22-2008

Buy your own gear.  You'll dive more.  Buy locally; you'll be happier in the long run.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - freediverND - 09-23-2008

I don't know how important it is to not buy online.. I wouldn't be scared to buy anything that isn't apt to break from an online vendor if you want.. and even with computers... you can sometimes get 2 for the price of one at the shop.  Myself, as far as computers go, I go online for price.  Out of three computers I have only one konked out and that was almost 4yrs after I bought it.. time for an upgrade anyway..  of the 2 others, one is almost 6 yrs old and the other is 4 and still going strong.  I've had real good luck with warranties from online venders the 2 times I've needed it.. complete replacement of a carbon fiber fin that broke and another set of fins that had an upgrade to a newer, softer foot pocket material.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - fuzzytop - 09-23-2008

You have to remember that if everyone keeps buying online, the local dive shops could be put out of business.....and then, where will you get your air?  I don't think you can buy that online. 
When at depth your gear starts to fail, you may wish you had spent the extra couple bucks to have your life supporting gear serviced by someone you can see and talk to, as opposed to a voice on the phone - a voice that may or may not be in this country.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - oldtimer - 09-23-2008

You can always buy a compressor on line.  There are several sources.  But seriously, an LDS will usually work with you on price.  Bare in mind they have to make a profit.  They can also pull your butt out of a jam when you need that special o-ring or light bulb "NOW".