wiscuba.com
Rent vs. Buy? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Rent vs. Buy? (/showthread.php?tid=1881)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rent vs. Buy? - cam - 09-02-2008

Besides the "personal" sorts of gear like wet suit, mask, fins, I'm looking for some opinions on the age-old question:

Should I rent or should I buy?  (or)  Buy used or buy new?

My own situation is that I finished my open water cert this spring after putting it off for 10 years because at the time, paying ~$300 for the class by itself was a costly venture.  Since then, I got hooked while diving in the Caribbean on my honeymoon.  Now I'm quite sure that I want to progress in the sport.  I scheduled my advanced class for later this month and I have a feeling I want to continue through the rescue diver and onto a specialty in photography/videography.

Currently, I don't have to worry about renting gear because my instructor includes the use of gear with the class.  But that won't last forever, obviously.

However, most of the gear for sale on Craig's list, etc. seems to be:

"tech" gear (which I don't need yet)
"garage sale" gear (relics from the 70's that you probably wouldn't feel safe using anyway)
"didn't dive as much as I thought I would" gear (which costs 10% less than buying new)

Have you had any luck buying used and trading up?  Or is it best to start just buying some things completely new, one-by-one?

Extra Credit:  How can I justify this to my wife?  :Smile

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - Chris H - 09-02-2008

Do your homework so you only have to buy it one time.  Used is OK, but don't buy junk from a garage sale or buy somebody's mistake.  If you think tech is where you want to be in the future, buy a back plate and a wing designed to be used with a single tank.  When/if the time comes you can get a wing for doubles and you are set.      Get a regulator that will take you where you want to go.  I use Scubapro MK25/G250HP regs and have many of them.    Many of my friends dive Apeks.  If you buy a reg, spend the extra money to get a real second stage as an "octopus".  That way when it comes to buying a backup reg and ditching the octopus, you can buy just a first stage and move the good second that you already bought to the new first stage and you don't have the crappy octo laying in a bin someplace. 

One other thing I guess is to slow down, have fun, and take your time.    I see you mentioned UW photography.  If you thought diving is expensive now, just wait until you get into that. ;D

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - Vtach - 09-02-2008

Buy your own reg setup and BC system.  I would recommend buying new but if you are going to buy used, make sure to have whatever you buy gone through by a tech before using.  Don't cheap out on regs.  You don't have to get the most expensive but get something well known with a good reputation and supported by your LDS.  There are many good brands out there.  You can find deals new or used online if you know what you are looking for but you will get good service and advice if you stick with your LDS.  It is a tradeoff that there is really no easy answer for.  Personally, I like to stick with the LDS for the important stuff.

Try some searches on .  You will definitely get a wealth of info there.

Good luck on the justification, hopefully she will be understanding about spending good money on good equipment and good training.  It is worth every penny when it comes to safety.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - Vtach - 09-02-2008

Yeah, and what Chris said also. ;D

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - scubagirl309 - 09-02-2008

I definately think buying new is the way to go, especially for the equipment your life depends on;  regs, and BC.  Most dive shops have great sales this time of year with the end of the season coming and clearing out for next years models.  If the wetsuit you buy on e-bay has a hole the worst that will happen is you will get really cold on your first dive with it, then you patch it up.  If you find a hole in your reg hose at 60 feet, well you get the idea.  You don't have to get everything at once, buy one piece of equipment and rent the others, then another, then another.  Pretty soon the only thing you are buying is air.  As far as justifying it to your wife, I had the same qualms about justifying it to my husband as he does not dive.  I just told him that its all about safety, and that in the long run its always cheaper to buy than rent if you are really going to use it.  On the other hand if you buy everything and never dive again, all bets are off. 

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - cam - 09-02-2008

Roger that.  I'm doing my best to restrain my new-guy enthusiasm with a large dose of common sense and safety.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - matt t. - 09-02-2008

New is good if you can afford it the item is reasonably priced. I have bought a bunch of used stuff and only regretted it once (and it as my own fault). Keep an eye out and watch your spending. It's easy to keep looking for that "one more thing" and spending an extra $1,500 you didn't plan on spending. In the last 8 years I've probably spent an extra $12,000 I didn't plan on spending  ;D.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - cam - 09-02-2008

I just saved a bundle on my car insurance but not THAT much. Smile

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - sjdive - 09-02-2008

You're getting some good advice on this post and wanted to add my two cents.  I just got certified last year and asked the same question and got advice from a lot of different sources.  I found that buying your own gear allows you to do the main thing a new diver needs to do... dive.  Dealing with rentals really impedes your access to diving.  Having your own gear allows you to gain familiarity with your equipment which makes you more comfortable in the water.  I too have limited money to spend, so I have to watch what I purchase.  It has been recommended almost unanimously that life support equipment be purchased new from a trusted dive shop.  The secondary stuff you can save searches on E Bay, watch for used sales at your LDS, or watch the classifieds on sites such as this.  You can add a little at a time as deals come up.  I agree that you should invest in BP/harness if you have any interest in anything tech down the road.  I had the mindset of "why spend $500 on a BC and sell it for pennies on the dollar in a few years when I'm ready to move up?"  I'm not ready yet, but the BP/harness is more comfortable and user friendly than you would think.  Good luck and keep diving.

Re: Rent vs. Buy? - dwitt2n - 09-02-2008

...not sure if this was mentioned in all the preceding posts...but your local dive shop (mine will anyway) will let you try out gear first before taking that second mortgage....great way to see if it's really [i][/i]what you wanted...good luck with your diving & be safe......