wiscuba.com
Red Granite depth? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Red Granite depth? (/showthread.php?tid=1739)

Pages: 1 2

Red Granite depth? - jeffberry - 04-26-2008

Just how deep is that crane?
What's the deepest you have seen in Red Granite?
I was at a dive shop in Greenbay this morning an they claim a max of 127'
So I ask an please be honest.

Re: Red Granite depth? - Chris H - 04-26-2008

That estimate might be a touch deep.  I have been to 96ft and it is likely it was so black that there was likely no reason to go deeper.  I think a few friends have made it to around 120ft.

Re: Red Granite depth? - matt t. - 04-26-2008

BTW, the crane is really an old snowmobile around 30 ft deep.

Re: Red Granite depth? - jeffberry - 04-26-2008

That's good to know!  I sure had no idea on how deep it was.  I expected it to be a bit deeper though!

Re: Red Granite depth? - dfreeman - 04-26-2008

The deepest that I have recorded in Red Granite is 112 feet.  It is probably 6 foot deeper to the bottom.  If there is deeper spots, I have not been there.

Doug

Re: Red Granite depth? - matt t. - 04-27-2008

With how dark that place is that's deep enough. I don't think I've ever been past 90 ft. Most of our dives are "wall" dives in the 50-70 ft range.

Re: Red Granite depth? - Vtach - 04-27-2008

I remember a dive there quite a few years ago where we were got into a trench that was about 124 or so.  It was black stinky (sulfite) and not really worth it.  It would be interesting to use a graphical fish finder to find out how the topography looks.  Any one interested in sidescanning Red Granite? ;D

Re: Red Granite depth? - dfreeman - 04-27-2008

The time I had 112 feet in the trench, the visibility was fanstastic.  At least 8 feet, maybe more.  This was a very rare event as it usually is so black with silt that you can only see a foot or two.

I do not know why the visibility was so good.  What was there to see?  A stone trench with a very soft bottom.

Hope you get to see similar condiitons, but do not count on it.

Doug

Re: Red Granite depth? - FreediveWI - 04-28-2008

125' is the deepest I've ever hit. Dick Boyd floated around two different numbers by me at one point- 238' that's on the map and 168' the someone's sonar had recorded.

There were stories back in the late 80's of some divers hitting the hole in the back of the quarry and getting past 150'. It was said that there's a tree sticking out sideways once you hit the shaft so you need to be carefully not to get tangled in it on the way down - or back up.

I've gone looking for it but have never found this "mysterious shaft" that others have mentioned. It's reported to be off the back end of the quarry where the wall made of boulders can be seen.

Maybe someone will do it this spring and posts photos?

Jon

Re: Red Granite depth? - Dewit2it - 04-28-2008

I think the DNR has it listed as 167 or 163 feet.

A sonar map would be a cool thing! Big Grin