wiscuba.com
Dry suit questions - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Dry suit questions (/showthread.php?tid=1588)

Pages: 1 2

Dry suit questions - dakartimm - 11-14-2007

I'm awaiting arrival of my first drysuit.Where does the air come from that gets pumped into the suit?Do I need to add anothe line from my regulator? What do I wear under it? Is there a brand that is better ? Thanks Timm

Re: Dry suit questions - DiveCaptDean - 11-14-2007

Hey Timm-
Congratulations on your purchase.  I think you will find that in a short period of time you will be very happy with your decision to go dry.  What kind of suit did you get?...Your questions have very simple answers, but they all will be answered in your dry suit class.  Keep in mind...it is far beneficial to you if you take the time to take this class...dry suits require special training and procedures and it is best learned with an instructor in a controlled environment..

Good luck and welcome to dry diving
Deano

Re: Dry suit questions - Chris H - 11-14-2007

Welcome Timm.  You bought a suit without having these questions answered?  Anyway, we'll need some additional information about the suit you bought, and the diving you are planning to do to recommend insulation.

I wear Weezle Extreme + insulation, under a tri-laminate shell suit, and I haven't found anything warmer.  Most  of the diving I do is here in the Great Lakes, and there is oftentimes a decompression obligation.    There isn't much worse than being really cold, and knowing you can't surface for another 20 minutes while watching the seconds tick away on your timer.

Your suit should come with an inflator hose to put on your regulator.  It is most likely the same as the hose that attaches to your BC.

I see Dean posted while I was typing this.  Dean gives good advice Wink  Get properly trained before using your suit.

Re: Dry suit questions - Vtach - 11-14-2007

Generally for recreational diving, the air comes from your first stage regulator with a separate low pressure hose.  In most cases, if you bought a new suit, it should come with an additional hose for that purpose.

The best undergarments to wear are those that wick moisture away from your body and provide a good thermal barrier.  Thinsulate is a common material used in undergarments.  I would definitely stick with a drysuit specific insulation such as Weezle, DUI, Bare, USIA, etc.  Most drysuit manufacturers also sell undergarments.  A good rule of thumb is to not go cheap on your undergarments.  The suit may keep you dry but unless you have adequate undergarments for the temps you are diving in, you won't be comfortable for long.

If trying to keep expenses down, you may be successful with some "outdoor activity" undergarments.  Something like what Cabelas or Gander Mountain may sell.  Stick with the heavy weight stuff.  Those can get pricey also so you might not save a huge amount of money and ultimately may not be as warm and a drysuit oriented undergarment.

Also make sure to take a drysuit course or have an experienced drysuit diver help you out.  The learning curve will be much quicker and safer. Wink

Looks like you also have some good advice while I was typing. ;D

Re: Dry suit questions - dakartimm - 11-14-2007

i thanks for the quick response. I picked up the suit used .Am I using the hose that went to my b.c.? i plan on taking every course that is available.
I've already put down a deposit for a cruise on the Blackdog out of Lake Superior.That trip isn't until August of 2008. I was hoping to try it out this winter .I want to be fully up to speed with it by spring.

You'll have a two hoses, one for your BC and one for your suit.  While the drysuit course sounds like it should be high on your list, don't get too caught up in the training to have a good time.  Take a course, perhaps even set a future goal, but be sure you get out and dive.

Re: Dry suit questions - matt t. - 11-14-2007

No, you are using another hose that is LIKE the hose on your b.c (as well as the b.c. hose). This new hose will also go on your 1st stage.
**Dang, Chris beat me to it while I was typing  Wink.

Re: Dry suit questions - MikeS - 11-14-2007

Chris,

Where did you get your Weezle Extreme?  Do you know where the best price is?

Mike

PM sent

Re: Dry suit questions - dakartimm - 11-15-2007

The suit is used .it is a USIA.the pricewas definitely right.I was planning on taking the class as soon as it was offered in the Madison area.I would like to try ice diving.