wiscuba.com
Fatality on a Shipwreck? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Fatality on a Shipwreck? (/showthread.php?tid=1507)

Fatality on a Shipwreck? - jmohns - 08-06-2007

Hello all, I overheard on the Chicago morning news something about a diver on a shipwreck passing away during his dive charter. Has anyone heard anything about this? I believe the death was due to cardiac reasons and not diving, but I only caught the end of it. I do not know what charter service it was nor the wrecks they were at. Hell I might have heard it wrong in the first place. Any information would be of help, Thanks. James

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - NEHDAD - 08-06-2007

Let me first start by saying that lets not rush to judgment as the facts always take time to come in.  Second I have removed the names to protect everyone involved in this.  I was coming back from IL yesterday and heard part of the report on the radio and this was posted on the WBBM website.  It is always sad to hear of any accident in our sport however I am glad that around the Great Lakes our accident rates appear to be very low.

While on a recreational scuba dive Sunday, a 49-year-old man had a medical emergency and was pulled from the water about three miles offshore in Lake Michigan, and has reportedly died.

Crews responded about 11 a.m., pulling one man from the water surface near the Carter H. Harrison water intake crib, police Marine Unit Officer Stan Kuprianczyk said.

Paramedics performed CPR at Navy Pier and as he was en route to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in “extremely critical” condition, according to Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford.

The man reportedly died while at the hospital, police News Affairs Officer Marcel Bright said.

While on a recreational dive, **************, of ***************., *******, was pronounced dead at 11:51 a.m. at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after an apparent heart attack. Apparently the man suffered the heart attack just as he was set to dive, but he never actually dove into the water, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

As part of a group of six recreational divers, the man was a certified diver out with ************, but was not an employee of the company or another scuba company, according to ******************.

The group was out on a ***************, ****** said, who would not comment on the expedition.

According to ************ website, there was a Chicago-area shipwrecks dive in Lake Michigan Sunday, which is for both beginner and experienced divers. The shipwrecks are generally 30 to 50 feet deep, the site says.

While out on the water the man experienced a medical emergency and crews were called out for a diver in distress, according to Marine Unit Officer Robinson.

The unconscious diver was then put aboard a faster Marine Unit boat and was transported to Navy Pier. There paramedics began CPR on the man, but he was not conscious when he taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, according to Kuprianczyk.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - jmohns - 08-06-2007

OK thanx for the info. I hope the family is doing ok, at least he went out having fun!

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - nateburger - 08-07-2007

Here is the rest of the story...

Autopsy Reveals Man Suffered Heart Attack While Diving

CHICAGO, Ill. (STNG)  -- An autopsy performed Monday confirmed a 49-year-old Oswego man who was pulled out of Lake Michigan while diving on Sunday died from a heart attack.

An autopsy on Monday determined xxxxxxx died from dilated cardiomyopathy caused by obesity, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office, which ruled his death as natural.

Apparently, xxxxxxxx suffered the heart attack just as he was set to dive, but he never actually dove into the water, according to the medical examiner's office.

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - matt t. - 08-07-2007

Why are we hiding the deceased divers name?

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - moneysavr - 08-10-2007

Rich has too much time on his hands?

Re: Fatality on a Shipwreck? - NEHDAD - 08-11-2007

Actually quite the opposite to little time on my hands and I thought typing stars was easier than spelling out each name.  All kidding aside I was just doing what I thought was right.  Imagine being their spouse, son or daughter and one day they google their dads name and all they find is people talking about how their dad passed away.  To me it is very insensitive and I think everyone deserves a sense of privacy when dealing with something like this.

Rich